This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
In just 25 minutes you can have this ultimate Vegan Breakfast Sandwich in your hands. It's layered with a crispy tofu patty that's smothered in melty cheese, topped with smoky veggie ham, and sandwiched together with a buttery English muffin.
This delicious recipe is a Vegan Huggs classic and has been a part of my breakfast collection for many years. However, the old photos were unbearable to look at, so I shot fresh new ones and simplified the recipe, too. Change is good!
So, if you want a quick, easy, and hearty meal to add to your routine, this Vegan Breakfast Recipe is perfect for you! Plus, it's completely versatile so you'll never get bored. It's perfect for lazy Sundays or for on-the-go mornings, too.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE A VEGAN BREAKFAST SANDWICH
(FULL AMOUNTS IN RECIPE CARD BELOW)
For the Tofu Eggs, you'll need Tofu, Nutritional Yeast, Granulated Garlic, Granulated Onion, Kala Namak (black salt), Smoked Paprika, Turmeric, and Fresh Cracked Pepper
To Assemble, you'll need Vegan Cheese, Vegan Ham, English Muffins, Tomato, Vegan Butter, and Tabasco Sauce.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN BREAKFAST SANDWICH
To prep, you'll need to press the tofu for 20-30 minutes. Press by placing a block of tofu in a dish towel and place it on a rimmed plate. Add a cast iron skillet on top (or something heavy) and let it drain. You can also use a Tofu Press to make it easier or you can use High-Protein Tofu.
- STEP 1 - Place the tofu on its side and cut into four ¼ - ½-inch slices.
- STEP 2 - Cut each slice into a circle using a glass or cookie cutter.
- STEP 3 - In a small bowl, add the nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, paprika, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- STEP 4 - Place a piece of tofu into the dry mixture and move around to coat. Flip and repeat on the other side. Repeat with the remaining tofu.
- STEP 5 - Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and wait until it shimmers. Now add the tofu pieces and cook until it's lightly golden and crispy for 2-3 minutes.
- STEP 6 - Flip the tofu and add a slice of cheese on top of each piece. Cover the pan to melt the cheese and brown the other side of the tofu for about 2-3 minutes.
To assemble the breakfast sandwich, toast the English muffins and butter each slice. If preferred, you can lightly pan-fry the vegan ham or just leave it as is. Top a slice of tomato on a muffin half, then the tofu, then ham, and add hot sauce if preferred. Close together with the other muffin half and serve immediately.
- Instead of Tabasco sauce, you can use Chipotle Sauce, Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Salsa, Avocado Pesto, or your favorite condiment.
- You can exchange the store-bought Vegan Cheese for my Vegan Nacho Cheese, or Vegan Hollandaise Sauce.
- Instead of English Muffins, you can use Sandwich Bread, Bagels, or a Baguette.
- You can switch out the Vegan Ham for Vegan Turkey, Vegan Sausage Patties or Baked Tempeh Bacon.
- Sandwich Pickles
- Leafy Greens
- Vegan Cream Cheese
MORE VEGAN BREAKFAST RECIPES TO ENJOY:
- Vegan Granola
- Acai Bowl Recipe
- Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Vegan Crepes
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this Vegan Breakfast Sandwich, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 14-16 ounces extra firm tofu , drained and pressed (see note)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon Kala Namak (black salt) , more to taste (sub regular salt)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 4 slices vegan cheese (one that melts)
- 4 English muffins (sub with bread of choice)
- Vegan butter , to taste
- 1 large tomato , sliced
- 4 slices vegan ham or vegan turkey
- 1-2 dashes tabasco sauce (see note for alternatives)
- Place the tofu on its side and cut into four ¼ - ½-inch slices. Cut each slice into a circle using a glass or cookie cutter (you can save the scraps for tofu crumbles). You can also cut the tofu into squares instead - just make sure it fits the muffins or bread you've chosen.
- In a small shallow bowl (that will fit one tofu circle), add the nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine well.
- Place a piece of tofu into the dry mixture and gently move around to coat well. Flip and repeat on the other side. Repeat with the remaining tofu.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the oil and wait until it shimmers. Now add the tofu pieces and cook until it's lightly golden and crispy on one side for about 2-3 minutes. Flip the tofu and add a slice of cheese on top of each piece. Cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese and brown the other side of the tofu for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Toast the English muffins and butter each slice. If preferred, you can lightly pan-fry the vegan ham or just leave it as is. Top a slice of tomato on a muffin half, then the tofu, then ham, and add hot sauce if preferred. Close together with the other muffin half and serve immediately. Enjoy!