This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Potato Leek Soup - the combination of creamy potatoes, delicate leeks with herbal notes of rosemary and thyme will have you going back for seconds! It's dairy-free, gluten-free and just good for you, too!
Potatoes are my favorite comfort food...
I love them baked, broiled, fried, mashed, or soup-ified! They are especially comforting when the cooler weather hits, so my kitchen counters are overflowing with those heavenly gems.
This Vegan Potato Leek Soup fits the bill when it comes to comfort and I make it all
year winter long! It's satisfying, belly-warming, and oh-so-cozy!
I'm a big soup lover and It's definitely my go-to meal in the winter. It's easy to make, inexpensive, hearty, filling, and delicious!
Plus, it freezes really well too, so I always have a variety to choose from. It makes weeknight dinners a breeze, and we never get bored.
This Vegan French Onion Soup is another favorite of mine and I make it often. It's so rich & savory and makes the house smell heavenly! Oh, yes, it's topped with bubbling vegan cheese too!
Is Vegan Potato Leek Soup Good For You?
Yes! Potatoes are an excellent source of potassium, zinc, copper, B6, vitamin C, phosphorus, manganese, niacin, fiber, and pantothenic acid. Lots of antioxidant power! They are healthy and delicious!
Unfortunately, deep frying doesn't make them healthy anymore, so I enjoy french fries in moderation or I bake them instead.
Leeks have an excellent source of vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B6, copper, iron, folate, magnesium, vitamin E, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin C. They have a subtle flavor compared to their onion counterpart.
You won't need to buy anything fancy to make this soup - just basic kitchen staples that are inexpensive and easy to find. You'll need:
- Olive oil
- Vegan Butter
- Thyme, Rosemary, Coriander, Bay Leaves, Salt and Pepper
- Lemon Juice
- Canned Coconut Milk
You won't taste the coconut milk, but if you prefer, you can use any unsweetened non-dairy milk. You can even omit the milk altogether and it will still be really creamy. The potatoes work most of the magic anyway.
How to Make Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Wash the leeks well (they are very dirty inside)
- Sauté the onions and leeks
- Add the potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper & spices
- Add the vegetable broth & bay leaf
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender
- Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice
- Blend until smooth and creamy (you can also leave it chunky)
- Garnish and serve
Can I Freeze It?
YES, it freezes really well! I just leave out the coconut milk from the portion that I'll be freezing. When I'm ready to make it, I defrost it overnight in the fridge and heat up slowly on the stove. Then I'll add the coconut milk when it’s fully heated.
Want to learn more about properly freezing and storing soup? Check out this informative article HERE.
You can top it with almost anything like Fresh-Cut Chives, Green Onions, Vegan Bacon, Swirled Coconut Milk, Fresh Cracked Pepper, a Pat of Vegan Butter, Vegan Sour Cream, Crushed Red Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Squeeze of Lemon (highly recommend), and so much more!
It goes well with a big ol' loaf of crusty bread too!
Are you ready to try this unbelievably creamy, comforting and satisfying soup?
It's just GOOD!
Let's do this!
A few more soup favorites:
- Vegan Corn Chowder
- Vegan Clam Chowder
- Instant Pot Yellow Split Pea Soup
I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 large leeks , cleaned well & thinly sliced (white & light green part only) *See note
- 5 medium russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- Green onion , chopped
- Pieces of cooked potato
- Fresh ground pepper
- Make sure leeks are washed well first. *See note on instructions
- Heat the oil, butter and a pinch of salt in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks & onion, sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat so it starts to simmer. Now reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in the coconut milk and optional lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender and carefully blend in batches. Before blending, set aside a few pieces of potato for the garnish.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with chopped green onion, fresh ground pepper and a few pieces of cooked potato.
Absolutely delicious!! Thank you for sharing the recipe ❤️🧡💚
It is my pleasure Fatima. 🙂
This worked perfectly and tasted great. I did not use milk and it was still creamy. My husband is vegan and I am not and we both loved it. Win!
Hey Beverly, happy to hear you both enjoyed this. 🙂
Super yumm. My husband was very sceptical since he's not a big fan of soups to begin with but the moment he had his first taste he was impressed. I got at least 5 compliments during the meal. Great recipe and tastes soooo good with the coconut milk.
I forgot to actually rate it. Definitely a 5/5.
Good for you Shanaya! I am glad everyone appreciated your effort in making this. 🙂
This recipe was my first time using leeks. I have a husband and 3 adult children staying in my home. After that meal everyone expressed how much they enjoyed the soup...it was delicious! I was disappointed there were no leftovers. This recipe is one I look forward to repeating!!!
That is so heartwarming. Thank you all for appreciating the recipe. I am happy the whole family loved it.:)
This is delicious and very comforting. I didn't have any lemon juice in so I sprinkled it with chilli flakes. Sooooooo good!!
A great way to use up vegetables. Cheap too!
I am glad you enjoyed it Catherine. 🙂
So creamy and delicious!
Thank you, Sarah! 🙂
OMG crazy good! I had sticker shock from the (only 2) leeks but could still taste them. Worth every chop, slice, and stir. This recipe is a keeper!
Thanks for that great feedback Dee! Happy you liked the leek soup. 🙂
Wonderful soup!!!!! A friend of ours shared it with us - needless to say, she has set a high bar for us to find a recipe to share with her. I’m sharing with my kids and grandkids!
Thank you so much for the great feedback Shayne! 🙂 I hope your kids and grandkids enjoy it.
I had never bought leeks or cooked them. This soup is delicious !!
Thanks,Brandi! Glad you like it. 🙂
Excellent flavor. Actually, quite exceptional! I am new to eating vegan and most recipes are ok for vegan but I would not eat it if I were not vegan. I would eat this one even if I weren’t vegan. I like it with coconut milk or coconut cream. I like to add just a little more of the spices, but both my husband and my friend liked it as is just fine. Thanks for making being vegan a little easier.
Aww, I am so happy that this recipe helped ease you into your vegan journey Loretta. Hope you can try some more of my recipes. 🙂
This is a delicious comforting recipe, thank you!
I will be trying more!
Thank you so much, Sarah! Cheers to more recipes. ❤️❤️❤️