Vegan Potato Leek Soup - the combination of creamy potatoes, delicate leeks with herbal notes of rosemary and thyme will have you going back for seconds! It's dairy-free, gluten-free and just good for you, too!
Potatoes are my favorite comfort food...
I love them baked, broiled, fried, mashed or soup-ified! They are especially comforting when the cooler weather hits, so my kitchen counters are overflowing with those heavenly gems.
This Vegan Potato Leek Soup fits the bill when it comes to comfort and I make it all
year winter long! It's satisfying, belly-warming and oh-so-cozy!
I'm a big soup lover and It's definitely my go-to meal in the winter. It's easy to make, inexpensive, hearty, filling and delicious!
Plus, it freezes really well too, so I always have a variety to choose from. It makes weeknight dinners a breeze, and we never get bored.
This Vegan French Onion Soup is another favorite of mine and I make it often. It's so rich & savory and makes the house smell heavenly! Oh, yes, it's topped with bubbling vegan cheese too!
IS VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes! Potatoes are an excellent source of potassium, zinc, copper, B6, vitamin C, phosphorus, manganese, niacin, fiber, and pantothenic acid. Lots of antioxidant power! They are healthy and delicious!
Unfortunately, deep frying doesn't make them healthy anymore, so I enjoy french fries in moderation or I bake them instead.
Leeks have an excellent source of vitamin K, manganese, vitamin B6, copper, iron, folate, magnesium, vitamin E, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin C. They have a subtle flavor compared to their onion counterpart.
WHAT DO I NEED FOR VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP?
You won't need to buy anything fancy to make this soup - just basic kitchen staples that are inexpensive and easy to find. You'll need:
Thyme, Rosemary, Coriander & Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper
You won't taste the coconut milk, but if you prefer, you can use any unsweetened non-dairy milk. You can even omit the milk altogether and it will still be really creamy. The potatoes work most of the magic anyway.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP
Wash the leeks well (they are very dirty inside)
Sauté the onions and leeks
Add the potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper & spices
Add the vegetable broth & bay leaf
Simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender
Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice
Blend until smooth and creamy (you can also leave it chunky)
Garnish and serve
CAN I FREEZE VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP?
YES, it freezes really well! I just leave out the coconut milk from the portion that I'll be freezing. When I'm ready to make it, I defrost it overnight in the fridge and heat up slowly on the stove. Then I'll add the coconut milk when it’s fully heated.
Want to learn more about properly freezing and storing soup? Check out this informative article HERE.
WHAT KIND OF TOPPINGS WORK WELL IN THIS SOUP?
You can top it with almost anything like Fresh-Cut Chives, Green Onions, Vegan Bacon, Swirled Coconut Milk, Fresh Cracked Pepper, a Pat of Vegan Butter, Vegan Sour Cream, Crushed Red Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Squeeze of Lemon (highly recommend), and so much more!
It goes well with a big ol' loaf of crusty bread too!
Are you ready to try this unbelievably creamy, comforting and satisfying soup?
It's just GOOD!
Let's do this!
A few more soup favorites:
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 large leeks , cleaned well & thinly sliced (white & light green part only) *See note
- 5 medium russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- Green onion , chopped
- Pieces of cooked potato
- Fresh ground pepper
- Make sure leeks are washed well first. *See note on instructions
- Heat the oil, butter and a pinch of salt in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks & onion, sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat so it starts to simmer. Now reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in the coconut milk and optional lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender and carefully blend in batches. Before blending, set aside a few pieces of potato for the garnish.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with chopped green onion, fresh ground pepper and a few pieces of cooked potato.