This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Cucumber and Tomato Salad will be your new summertime favorite. It's loaded with refreshing veggies, protein-rich chickpeas, and tossed with a light, lemony dressing. You'll want to make it all summer long for barbecues, picnics, potlucks, and more!
If you're having an outdoor party this summer, you'll want to put this Cucumber and Tomato Salad on the table. It pairs nicely with grilled food, sandwiches, pasta dishes, and so much more.
Plus, it's light, refreshing, and SO cooling. Your guests will love it!
Need another good reason to make this? The ingredients are simple and the salad comes together easily.
To make the dressing, you'll need olive oil, lemon, red wine vinegar, agave nectar, vegan parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
For the remaining ingredients, you'll need English cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and chickpeas.
How to make Tomato and Cucumber Salad
It's really easy to make this healthy and refreshing summer salad! Check it out:
1. First, you'll need to chop and slice the veggies which only takes a few minutes. Then toss them together in a large bowl along with the chickpeas.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, agave, Italian seasoning, vegan parmesan, salt, and pepper.
3. Pour the dressing into the large bowl and gently toss to combine. Taste for seasoning.
4. Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes to marry the flavors. Toss at the midway mark. Remove from the fridge and toss again. Taste for seasoning again and add more if needed.
This recipe is completely fool-proof and so easy to adjust to taste. Here are a few tips to ensure success:
- Start conservatively with the dressing ingredients so it's easier to adjust to your taste. I usually add another squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt after the salad has marinated.
- Some lemons can be really tangy and overpower the other flavors. If the salad is too tangy, you can add a splash of olive oil and agave to balance it out. A splash of water can help too.
- It's important to let the salad sit for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to marry together. It'll be worth it!
- To take the bite out of the onions, soak the slices in water with a squeeze of lemon for 10 minutes before using.
This cucumber and tomato salad recipe is perfectly delicious just as it is, but feel free to change things up. It's very versatile! Here are some add-in ideas:
- Add a touch of heat with crushed red pepper.
- For a little richness, add vegan mozzarella cheese or vegan feta cheese.
- Add some fresh herbs such as dill, basil, or parsley.
- Go for a little crunch and extra protein with pine nuts or slivered almonds.
- Throw in some diced avocado for creaminess (add right before serving).
- Add some extra veggies such as bell peppers, roasted corn, peas, green beans, or edamame.
How long will it last?
It'll stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container. After that, the tomatoes tend to get mushy.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and sharing your feedback in the comment section below. It would really make my day!
⭐️ Subscribe to the Vegan Huggs Newsletter and receive weekly recipes straight to your inbox! You'll also receive my FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes.
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 medium English cucumbers , cut into half moons or triangles
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced into half moons
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh-squeezed. More to taste.
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or preferred sweetener
- 1.5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan , *optional (sub nutritional yeast)
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh-cracked pepper , to taste
- Large bowl
- Small Bowl
- In a large bowl, add the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and chickpeas. Gently toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, agave, Italian seasoning, vegan parmesan, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine well.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl and gently toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes to marry the flavors. Toss at the midway mark. Remove from the fridge and toss again. Taste for seasoning again and add more if needed.