This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Cucumber and Tomato Salad is a summertime favorite. It’s loaded with refreshing veggies, protein-rich chickpeas, and tossed with a light, lemony dressing. You’ll want to make it all summer long for barbecues, picnics, potlucks, and more!
If you’re having an outdoor party this summer, you’ll want to put this Cucumber and Tomato Salad on the table. It pairs nicely with grilled food, sandwiches, pasta dishes, and so much more.
Plus, it’s light, refreshing, and SO cooling. Your guests will love it!
Need another good reason to make this? The ingredients are simple and the salad comes together easily.
What do I need?
(FULL AMOUNTS IN RECIPE CARD BELOW)
To make the dressing, you’ll need olive oil, lemon, red wine vinegar, agave nectar, vegan parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
For the remaining ingredients, you’ll need English cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and chickpeas.
How to make a healthy Tomato and Cucumber Salad
It’s really easy to make this healthy and refreshing summer salad! Check it out…
STEP 1: First, you’ll need to chop and slice the veggies which only takes a few minutes. Then toss them together in a large bowl along with the chickpeas.
STEP 2: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, agave, Italian seasoning, vegan parmesan, salt, and pepper.
STEP 3: Pour the dressing into the large bowl and gently toss to combine. Taste for seasoning.
STEP 4: Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes to marry the flavors. Toss at the midway mark. Remove from the fridge and toss again. Taste for seasoning again and add more if needed.
1 – It’s best to start conservatively with the dressing ingredients so it’s easier to adjust to your taste. I usually add another squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt after the salad has marinated.
2 – Some lemons can be really tangy and overpower the other flavors. If the salad is too tangy, you can add a splash of olive oil and agave to balance it out. A splash of water can help too.
3 – It’s important to let the salad sit for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to marry together. It’ll be worth it!
This cucumber and tomato salad recipe is perfectly delicious just as it is, but feel free to change things up. It’s very versatile! Here are some add-in ideas:
- Crushed red pepper
- Fresh dill, basil or parsley
- Vegan feta cheese
- Pine nuts
- Bell pepper
- Roasted corn
How to serve:
You can enjoy this salad on its own because it’s fairly filling with the chickpeas and you’ll get a nice dose of protein, too. However, it makes the perfect side dish for most meals. Here are a few ideas:
How long will it last?
It’ll stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container. After that, the tomatoes tend to get mushy.
More summer favorites to enjoy:
I love to hear from you
If you make this Cucumber and Tomato Salad recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 medium English cucumbers , cut into half moons or triangles
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced into half moons
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh-squeezed. More to taste.
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or preferred sweetener
- 1.5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan , *optional (sub nutritional yeast)
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh-cracked pepper , to taste
- In a large bowl, add the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and chickpeas. Gently toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, agave, Italian seasoning, vegan parmesan, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine well.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl and gently toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes to marry the flavors. Toss at the midway mark. Remove from the fridge and toss again. Taste for seasoning again and add more if needed.
Useful Tools To make This Recipe
- Large bowl
- Small Bowl