This easy One Pot Tomato Orzo Recipe is perfect for busy weeknight meals. It’s flavorful, satisfying, and it’s ready in 30 minutes or less! Your family will love it!
Life is busy and most of us are looking for quick, easy, and filling meals to feed our families. However, that doesn’t mean we have to sacrifice taste. Simple meals can be full of flavor! This One-Pot Tomato Orzo Recipe fits the bill and will make your weeknight complete.
Plus, it’ll be on your table in no time! I don’t like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so I’m a big fan of 30-minute meals. They’re anything, but boring! We get to enjoy Portobello Vegan Fajitas, Hearty Soups, Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta, Salads, Mac n’ Cheese, and many one-pot meals.
IS ORZO RICE OR PASTA?
Orzo looks like rice, but it’s actually wheat-based pasta that is shaped like rice. So, you can’t interchange them in many recipes because they cook up differently.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR TOMATO ORZO
The star of the show is the Orzo!
For the base, you’ll need Olive Oil, Garlic, Dried Oregano, Crushed Red Pepper and White Wine.
To make the sauce, you’ll need Diced Tomatoes, Vegetable Broth, and Salt.
Finish with Capers and Fresh Basil or Parsley. That’s it!
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO ORZO IN ONE POT
- 1 – Heat oil in a large skillet/pot over medium heat. Add garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté until garlic is lightly golden.
- 2 – Add the orzo and stir to coat. Give the orzo a few minutes to lightly toast. Stir occasionally.
- 3 – Pour in the wine and cook until the liquid mostly cooks off.
- 4 – Now add the diced tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes.
- 5 – Add the broth and salt. Cover and gently simmer until liquid has mostly cooked down and orzo is tender. Uncover the last few minutes of cook time.
- 6 – Remove from heat and stir in the capers and fresh basil. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Let the orzo sit uncovered for 1-2 minutes. This will give it time to thicken up.
- To make this kid-friendly, reduce or omit the crushed red pepper.
- The wine can be omitted if you don’t have it – just skip the step entirely.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Don’t simmer too high or the liquid will cook down before the orzo is finished cooking.
MORE ONE POT MEALS TO ENJOY:
I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this One Pot Tomato Orzo Recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
One Pot Tomato Orzo Recipe
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta , uncooked
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes , canned
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup fresh basil , chopped (sub with parsley)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 1 minute until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add the orzo and stir to coat well. Cook for 1-2 minutes to lightly toast the orzo and incorporate flavors. Move around occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Pour in the white wine and cook until the liquid mostly cooks down. About 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the diced tomatoes (with juices) and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and salt. Turn heat up to get it boiling. Once boiling, turn heat down to maintain a low simmer. Cover and cook for 7-10 minutes or until liquid has mostly cooked down and orzo is tender. Stir often to prevent sticking. Uncover the last few minutes of cook time.
- Remove from heat and add the capers and fresh basil. Stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Let the orzo sit uncovered for 1-2 minutes. This will give it time to thicken up. Serve with vegan parmesan and fresh-cracked pepper. Enjoy!