This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Cut your cook time and effort in half with this Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto. It takes just 15 minutes and you don’t have to keep stirring.
Yes, it’s true! You can make perfectly rich & creamy risotto right in your Instant Pot! Traditional risotto is quite easy to make, but it takes time and you have to keep a constant eye on it. This Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto reduces all that so it’s perfect for busy weeknight meals.
If you’re not ready to dive into the Instant Pot world, you can make my stovetop Vegan Mushroom Risotto instead. It’s delicious!
I actually love making stovetop risotto and I find it very therapeutic, so I won’t be giving it up. However, I usually reserve it for the weekends when I have more time. Things are hectic here during the week, but I still like to have comforting and wholesome meals on the table.
The Instant Pot has been a lifesaver and I use it at least 4 times a week. It doesn’t actually cook in an instant, but it’s easier and you can walk away while it goes to work.
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT MUSHROOM RISOTTO:
(full amounts in the recipe card below)
Salt & pepper
Some optional ingredients are red pepper flakes, fresh-cut parsley, and vegan parmesan cheese.
How To Make Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
STEP 1: Turn on the Sauté feature of your Instant Pot and add the oil & butter. When melted, add the onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until slightly translucent.
STEP 2: Now add the minced garlic and dried thyme. Sauté for 1 minute to lightly brown the garlic.
STEP 3: Add the diced mushrooms and sauté until tender. About 3-4 minutes.
STEP 4: Add the arborio rice and stir to coat it well.
STEP 5: Now pour in the wine and cook until the liquid mostly cooks down. About 2 minutes.
STEP 6: Stir in the broth, salt, and pepper then close and secure the lid. Turn the steam release handle to the sealing position. Cancel the Sauté function and push the Pressure Cooker (Manual Setting) button to high pressure. Set the time to 6 minutes by using the + or – button.
*NOTE: The screen will display “ON” while the preheating is in progress (this could take 7-10 minutes). When the Instant Pot has come to pressure, you’ll see the 6 minutes for cook time displayed on the screen again.
STEP 7: The cooker will beep when the time is up. Carefully turn the steam release handle to the Venting position for a quick release. Once the Float Valve goes down you can carefully open the lid. The risotto will look soupy when you first remove the lid but don’t worry this is normal. Just give it a few good stirs and It will thicken up nicely.
STEP 8: Now stir in the thawed peas, remaining vegan butter, and vegan parmesan. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. I usually add a pinch or two of salt.
CAN I REHEAT MUSHROOM RISOTTO?
Risotto tastes the best when it’s freshly cooked, but you can definitely reheat leftovers. Cook it over medium-low heat with a small amount of vegetable broth. You can add a small pat of vegan butter too. Stir often to prevent burning or sticking.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH RISOTTO?
It’s very satisfying on its own, but it also pairs nicely with a salad or a side of steamed veggies. Of course with a glass of white wine, too!
INTERESTED IN MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES? HERE ARE SOME YOU MIGHT LIKE:
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , divided
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms dry brushed & diced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (*see note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth , low sodium (*see note)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas , thawed
- 3-4 tablespoons Vegan Parmesan Cheese (optional) *see note
- Turn on the Sauté feature of your Instant Pot and add the oil one tablespoon of butter. When heated, add the onions and sauté until slightly translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Now add the mushrooms and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the rice and stir to coat well.
- Pour in the wine and cook until the liquid mostly cooks down. About 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, salt, and pepper then close and secure the lid. Turn the steam release handle to the Sealing position.
- Cancel the Sauté function and push the Pressure Cooker (Manual Setting) button to high pressure. Set the time to 6 minutes by using the + or - button. The screen will then display ON while the preheating is in progress (this could take 7-10 minutes). When the Instant Pot has come to pressure, you'll see the 6 minutes displayed on the screen again.
- The cooker will beep when the time is up. Carefully turn the steam release handle to the Venting position for a quick release (It will loudly spurt out lots of steam and some water). Once the Float Valve goes down you can carefully open the lid.
- The risotto will look soupy when you first remove the lid. Just give it a few good stirs and It will thicken up. Stir in the peas, remaining butter, and vegan parmesan. Taste for seasoning and add if needed.
- Serve immediately with fresh-cut parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, and fresh cracked pepper. Enjoy!
Useful Tools To make This Recipe