This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
You'll want to sprinkle this Vegan Parmesan Cheese on everything! It has the perfect balance of salty, cheesy, and tangy flavors that'll make your taste buds happy. Plus, it requires just 6 ingredients and it can be yours in 10 minutes or less!
Everyone has that must-have staple in their home and mine is definitely Vegan Parmesan Cheese. It adds a pop of flavor to so many dishes, and I use it all the time for pizza, pasta, soups, salads, popcorn, and more.
I just made my Roasted Red Pepper Pasta last night and I didn't hold back. I coated it with a powdery blanket of cheesiness!
Even in my non-vegan days, I had a big green bottle of Kraft in the fridge at all times (so fancy!). It was quite addicting and I sprinkled it on everything. I loved the saltiness and slight tang that it added to my food.
Well, this vegan version is just as good and it provides the tanginess that regular cheese has, too. It's a real game-changer!
What makes Vegan Parmesan Cheese tangy?
The secret ingredient is vegan lactic acid and it provides a zing that most vegan cheese products are lacking. I highly recommend trying it out. You won't be disappointed!
Plus, you can use it for a variety of other recipes like my Vegan Mozzarella Cheese or Vegan Nacho Cheese, and more. However, if you don't have lactic acid, you can still make this recipe. It won't have the tang, but it's still delicious without it.
️🌟 This is a quick overview with step-by-step photos. For the complete ingredient amounts and instructions, scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Cashews - They have a neutral flavor and break down easily. You can also use blanched almonds.
- Nutritional Yeast - Adds a cheesy flavor and is really needed to bring this recipe together.
- Lactic Acid - Adds a tangy flavor that tastes close to dairy cheese.
- Granulated Garlic & Onion - Adds a little extra flavor, but it's optional.
- Salt - Don't skip this! It brings all the flavors together.
How to make Vegan Parmesan Cheese
This part is super easy! Just place all the ingredients In a high-powered blender or food processor and pulse for 2-3 long pulses, until you have a fine meal-like texture. Don't over pulse or it will start to clump and become cashew butter. Now, taste for seasoning and add more if needed. That's it!
- I prefer to use a high-powered blender over a food processor because it creates a fine texture.
- Remember not to over pulse or it will clump. If some of the cheese gets stuck in the bottom in between pulses, just use a butter knife to release it before pulsing again.
- The nutritional yeast that I use has a lighter color, so the end result has a whiter appearance like traditional parmesan. I also prefer the taste over most brands on the market. Some brands have a bitter aftertaste.
Can I use other types of nuts?
I prefer cashews because they are the most neutral as far as flavor, but you can use blanched almonds, macadamia nuts, and walnuts. Just make sure they are raw and unsalted. If you can't have nuts, you can try using seeds like this recipe for Hemp Parmesan. I haven't tried it but it looks delicious!
How long will it last?
This vegan parmesan cheese will last quite a while at room temperature for 3-4 weeks as long as it's stored in an airtight container. However, I prefer to store it in the fridge for optimal freshness and flavor. It'll last a few months, but I usually go through it by then.
Can I freeze it?
Yes! You can store vegan parmesan cheese in the freezer for 4-6 months and it'll retain all of its flavors. However, after it's frozen, you'll want to store it in the fridge and not at room temperature. The extra moisture can cause mold to grow.
More vegan cheese recipes to enjoy
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and sharing your feedback in the comment section below. It would really make my day! You can also share your remake with me on Instagram. Just tag #veganhuggs and @veganhuggs so I don’t miss it!
⭐️ Subscribe to the Vegan Huggs Newsletter and receive weekly recipes straight to your inbox! You'll also receive my FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes.
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- High-Powered Blender or Food Processor
- Place all ingredients In a high-powered blender or food processor. Pulse for 2-3 long pulses, until you have a fine meal-like texture. Don't over pulse or it will start to clump. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Storing: Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for 6-8weeks. You can also store it at room temperature for 3-4 weeks.
- Lactic Acid: It provides a tangy flavor that dairy cheese has and I highly recommend trying it out. Also, you can use it for a variety of vegan cheese recipes in place of lemon juice or vinegar. However, if you don't have it, you can still make this recipe. It won't have the tang, but it's still delicious without it. You can add ¼ teaspoon of Italian seasoning to bump up the flavor.