Spice up your game-day snacking with this delicious Vegan Nacho Cheese. It’s creamy, tangy and down-right addictive! It calls for simple ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes to make. It’s gluten-free and oil-free too!
I’m not a huge sports fan, but I LOVE game-day parties! It’s the perfect atmosphere to pig out and have some laughs with friends over a few cold beers. It also helps the die-hard fans feel a little calmer too.
This year I’m totally spicing things up with my Potato Air Fryer Tacos, Loaded Vegan Nachos, Vegan Jalapeño Popper Dip, and this Vegan Nacho Cheese. I think Blood Orange Margaritas might have to happen too.
What Does Vegan Nacho Cheese Taste Like?
Well, It tastes cheesy and a tad bit spicy… just like the one made with dairy. It has a great balance of tangy, savory and sharp flavors that’ll make your taste happy! The texture ie velvety-smooth and ultra-creamy.
How to make Vegan Nacho Cheese
(full ingredient amounts in recipe card below)
It’s so easy! Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Soften the cashews by either soaking them in hot water for 20 minutes or in cool water for 2-4 hours. They will breakdown easier and create an ultra-creamy texture.
- Now pop everything into a high-speed blender and blitz until smooth.
- Pour the cheese into a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until it thickens up.
Serving ideas: Top with fresh-cut cilantro, diced tomatoes, and serve warm alongside crispy tortilla chips, lime wedges, and sliced jalapeños.
Ways to use Vegan Nacho Cheese:
Also, it will stay good in the fridge for 3-5 days. Just reheat on the stove, and add a few splashes of vegetable broth. It does freeze well too, but I never get that far. This stuff is too good for keeping… it’s for eating!
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this Vegan Nacho Cheese, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Easy Vegan Nacho Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3 tablespoons pimientos
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper * optional
- To soften cashews, boil water in a small pot and remove from heat. Add cashews and cover for 15-20 minutes (*see note for an alternative method).
- Drain cashews and discard soaking water. Add all ingredients to a High-Speed Blender. Blend on high until smooth (the sauce will be thin).
- Pour cheese into a medium pot over medium heat. Cook until the cheese thickens up. It should take about 4-6 minutes. Stir often so it doesn’t stick or burn. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. For a thinner consistency, add a few splashes of broth and combine. Remove from heat and serve.
- If you don't have a high-speed blender, the cashews might not completely break down and this could result in a gritty texture. You can try soaking the cashews longer for 6 hours or more.
- Add a subtle zing with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add more heat with 1 tablespoon of jarred jalapeños.
- For smoky heat, add 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce.
- For a little more depth add a 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- For a thicker consistency, add 1/2 tablespoon more of the tapioca starch or a tablespoon more nutritional yeast.
- For a thinner sauce, add a few splashes of vegetable broth and combine.