This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Change up your grilling routine with these Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs. They are so easy to make - just steam, marinate & grill them up to perfection!
I know exactly what you guys are thinking because I was thinking it too before I tried Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs. I thought it was comical that vegans were eating carrots in a hot dog bun. We totally just put ourselves in the crazy vegan category!
Well, ya know what? I'd rather be called crazy now because these carrot dogs are delicious! No, they definitely will not replace a vegan hot dog, but they are fun and super tasty in their own way.
Now, if you're heading to a carnivore barbecue and want to make an impression on veganism, I suggest leaving the carrots at home. Instead, I would bring a few packs of Field Roast Frankfurters to get people talking. They are very close to a meat hot dog but much healthier.
Alright, on to the Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs!
Cut the carrots
To get started, wash and peel 8 large carrots. Now cut them to the size of your hot dog buns. You can leave them a little longer if you want the carrots to stick out a little.
Steam the carrots
Place about 1 inch of water into a large pot that will fit your steamer basket. Now place your basket on the bottom and cover pot with a lid. Turn the heat to high and bring water to a boil.
Once boiling, turn heat to med-low to maintain a low boil and place carrots in basket. Cover and cook until carrots are tender throughout, about 20-25 minutes.
Keep an eye on the water so it doesn't fully evaporate and add more hot water if needed. You can also boil the carrots instead of steaming. I prefer steaming because the carrots keep more of their flavor.
- Sunflower oil
- Gluten-free tamari
- Apple cider vinegar
- Pure maple syrup
- Liquid smoke
- Nutritional yeast
- Smoked paprika
- Granulated garlic
- Granulated onion
- Ground coriander
How to marinate carrots
In a 2-quart baking dish (or similar size), arrange the carrot so they all lay flat on the bottom. Now pour the marinade on top of the carrots.
Turn a few times and then spoon marinade on the top side of carrots. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 2-3 hours, turning once at the halfway mark and spoon mixture on top side of carrots again.
How to grill Carrot Hot Dogs
- Preheat your grill to med-high heat and grill carrots for 2-3 minutes on each side. Grill until the carrots are lightly browned and they have charred grill marks on them.
- You can also use a lightly oiled grill pan over medium heat. If you don't have that, you can use a cast-iron skillet or a regular skillet. You won't have the grill marks, but the carrot dogs will still be delicious!
- To put grill marks on the hot dog buns, place them on the grill for 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent burning them.
Here are some ideas to dress up your Carrot Hot Dogs to suit your personal taste. Have fun with it!
Ketchup, mustard, vegan mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, salsa, hot sauce, chipotle sauce, relish, pickles, diced onion, roasted corn, jalapeños, fresh herbs, vegan sour cream, shredded vegan cheese, sauerkraut, pepperoncini, and vegan bacon.
I’d love to hear from you
If you make these Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs
- 8 large carrots , peeled & cut to the size of hot dog buns
- 8 hot dog buns (gluten-free if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil , or preferred oil
- ⅓ cup gluten-free tamari , low sodium (sub soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (sub agave)
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¾ teaspoon granulated onion
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- In a medium bowl, whisk all marinade ingredients well. Set aside.
- Place about 1 " of water into a large pot that will fit your steamer basket. Place your basket on the bottom and cover pot with a lid. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to med-low to maintain a low boil and place carrots in basket. Cover and cook until carrots are tender throughout, about 20-25 minutes. *Keep an eye on the water so it doesn't fully evaporate. Add more hot water if needed.
- In a 2-quart baking dish (or similar), arrange the carrot so they all lay flat on the bottom. Pour the marinade on top of the carrots. Turn a few times and then spoon marinade on the top side of carrots. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 2-3 hours, turning once at the halfway mark and spoon mixture on top side of carrots again.
- Preheat your grill to med-high heat. Grill carrots for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and they have charred grill marks (You can also use a lightly oiled grill pan over medium heat). Place buns on the grill for 1-2 minutes for grill marks (watch carefully).
- Dress the carrot dogs up and serve immediately. (*see notes for ideas) Enjoy!
This is really nice, I love the flavours and I used the rest of the marinade to dip my bread in. I think it's great for a sunny day.
I'm so happy you liked them! Thank you for giving them a try. 🙂
Turns out this is a wonderful marinade for tofu as well.
You're so clever 🙂
Support @ Vegan Huggs
So glad you loved the recipe Hilde, thanks for sharing! 🙂
I've tried several versions of carrot dog recipes and this one was the only authentically tasting recipe I have ever tried. Unbelievable!!! Your website is becoming my new favourite. Best carrot dogs ever! Two thumbs up.
Hi Linda, this is the nicest compliment! Thank you so much! 🙂
O. M. G. These are amazing!!! I am not a fan of carrots and hotdogs aren’t real food but taste so good......
these were delicious! Will make them again 100%
Yay! I'm so glad you liked them. Thank you for giving them a try 🙂
I have made them quite a few times! Amazzzzzzzing!!!
My husband asked for hotdogs this weekend. I'm going to make these for sure. They look so good!
We recently went full Vegan and my husband was missing hot dogs. But not any more! These are delicious and we didn’t miss the death filled poison dogs....at all! Thank you for the great recipe.
I wonder if you could use this to also make corn dogs? I’ve never had corn dogs so I’d have nothing to compare it to but they look so cute I always wish I knew how to make a healthy vegan version.
I've been thinking about this too! So funny! I'm going to do some experimenting and see what happens. Thanks for stopping by 🙂
I have been tempted by carrot dogs in the past, but haven't tried them yet. Your photo makes them look doubly tempting, though, so I think this week is the week to take the leap. Have you ever tried homemade hot dog buns? I make mine with 1/3 rye flour and some caraway seeds -- better than anything the store offers.
Hi Janet, You've gotta try them! They are so easy to make too. No, I haven't made my own buns before but I'd love to give it a try. Do you use whole wheat along with the rye flour? Thanks for stopping by 🙂
Has anyone ever made the dogs with parsnips. To me, carrots have a strong flavor. They're too carroty for me.
Hi Catherine, I haven't tried them with parsnips, but I say go for it! Ya never know! Have a wonderful weekend 🙂
It's all about the flavor! Your seasoning are awesome. These are really good grilled, just my preference. Love your recipes, keep them coming.
Hi John, thank you so much! I agree, they are so good grilled! Gives them so much flavor! Have a nice weekend 🙂