This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
The Ultimate Vegan Burrito – the perfect meatless meal! Loaded with chipotle black beans, cilantro-lime rice, pico de gallo, avocado, and spicy sauce. They are packed with flavor and will be on your table in no time!
What's not to love about a hand-held meal? Burritos are my favorite go-to recipe when I want something, fast, easy, and really satisfying! This Vegan Burrito is hearty, budget-friendly, and completely customizable.
What's in it?
Well, this is entirely up to you! Burritos are so versatile and can be customized to your taste buds. You can even have a Vegan Breakfast Burrito stuffed with tofu scramble and vegan sausage. Here's what I stuffed in this burrito:
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Chipotle & Lime Black Beans
- Pico de Gallo
- Spicy Sauce
Filling ideas: Vegan Cheese Shreds, Jackfruit Carnitas, Roasted Potatoes, Sautéed Peppers & Onions, Corn, Chunky Salsa, Jalapeños, Vegan Chorizo, Shredded Lettuce, or Vegan Nacho Cheese.
How to make the Ultimate Vegan Burrito
It's all about the filling! I add tons of flavor to make it mouth-watering good! Here's what you'll need to do:
Cilantro Lime Rice - cook long grain rice according to package directions. When done, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Now add lime juice and cilantro and gently stir to combine well. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Cover with lid to keep warm.
Chipotle & Lime Black Beans - In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the beans, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce. Bring to a slight simmer to heat throughout, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime and salt to taste. Keep covered.
Pico De Gallo- combine diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Taste and adjust flavors if needed. You can use a store-bought variety or replace it with diced tomatoes if you don't like raw onions.
Spicy Sauce - combine ½ cup Vegan Sour Cream or Vegan Mayo with a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce. I used Cholula.
How to wrap a burrito
Now the fun part! Wrapping a burrito is actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. It's ideal to use a large tortilla so you have enough room to wrap tightly. Also, I always warm them up to make them soft and pliable. You don't want to overstuff the burrito or it will fall apart.
Place warmed tortilla on a flat surface and add your filling in the middle. Fold the sides in, then tuck in the top flap under the filling as you roll. Continue to roll tightly until complete (see video for visual instructions).
I love to hear from you
If you make this vegan Burrito, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Chipotle Vegan Burrito with Cilantro Lime Rice
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice , cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons lime juice , freshly squeezed
- ½ cup cilantro , chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt (I add it to the cooking water)
Chipotle & Lime Black Beans
- 2 15 oz cans black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce + 2 tablespoon sauce, chopped finely
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice , freshly squeezed
- Salt , to taste
Pico de gallo (sub 1 ½ cups diced tomatoes)
- 1 ½ cups tomato , diced small (about 3 medium tomatoes_
- ½ cup onion , diced small (about ½ medium onion)
- ½ cup cilantro , chopped finely
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- Salt , to taste
- 4 large tortillas ,10-inch
- 1 large avocado , sliced or cubed
- ½ cup vegan sour cream , mix with hot sauce if desired (sub vegan mayo)
Cilantro Lime Rice
- After the rice is cooked, remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Add lime juice and cilantro and gently stir to combine well. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Cover with lid to keep warm.
Chipotle & Lime Black Beans
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the beans, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Bring to a slight simmer to heat throughout, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime and salt to taste. Keep covered.
Pico De Gallo
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients well. Taste and adjust flavors if needed. Set aside.
- Warm a tortilla in a large skillet over medium heat, about 15-20 seconds on each side. Place on a flat surface and add the rice, beans, tomatoes, avocado and sour cream in the middle (don't overfill). Fold the sides in then tuck in the top flap under the filling as you roll. Continue to roll tightly until complete (see video for visual instructions).
- Kid-friendly- omit the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can replace it with 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth, ½ teaspoon each of smoked paprika, cumin, granulated garlic, and, granulated onion. Add salt to taste.
It looks amazing and I can't wait to try it. Did I miss the recipe for the Chipotle sauce? I can't seem to find how u made it.
Hi Yolanda, thank you and I am excited for you to try this. I used the adobo sauce on the chipotle peppers for this recipe. 🙂
I haven't made this yet, just commenting that you need to SLOW DOWN the portion of the video where you demonstrate the roll. That went way too fast and I have no idea what I just watched. Help, because that is the part I need to learn!!
That was delicious thank you for sharing!
Support @ Vegan Huggs
Hi Katie! We're so happy that you loved the recipe, thanks for stopping by!
In the words of my husband, "I loved it!" Thank you!
Yay! I'm so glad it was husband-approved! Thank you for giving it a try. 🙂
My boyfriend requested we make this and I was like “sure we can”. It looked really good, but tasted absolutely AMAZING. Definitely saving this one and telling others about it. I make a lot of food and this runs to the top of the list with how good it was!
Hi Kenzie, this is such a nice compliment! Thank you for giving it a try and sharing your feedback. 🙂
Hey Melissa~. Made this tonight since it was Tuesday! Wow!! It was great!! We both liked it! Have a lunch meeting Tues and going to make a bowl with the leftovers. I also steamed broccoli and will include that in the bowl. YUM!! Thanks again for another great recipe!
Hi Cathy, Yay! I'm so happy that you both liked them. I love making bowls with the leftovers too. Sounds perfect with the broccoli. Thank you for sharing your feedback. 🙂
Could you make these as a cold appetizer?
Hi Ruthie, I'm not really sure how it would taste cold. Maybe you can make a Cowboy Caviar salad with tortilla chips on the side. It has similar flavors and it's hearty. I have a recipe if you're interested. 🙂
Thank you for the recipe. The main reason I don’t patronize Chipotle is 95% of their menu contains cilantro, which to me, causes me to gag. It’s nice to have a recipe that I can adapt to my taste and still have something wonderful to nosh on. Grateful for this.
Hi Janice, I'm so glad you liked it! I totally understand the cilantro issue. I have a good friend who hates it too. Thank you for giving it a try 🙂
These were ah-mazing!!! Such flavor! Thank you for the recipe! I love your recipes! Always delicious!
Hi Tiffany, So glad you liked them! Thank you so much 🙂
I'm thinking grilled young asparagus spears to substitute for the avocado, but then my mind completely jumped the shark and thought, "roasted sweet potato"? Huh? Hmm...that could be interesting, though!
I may have to make these this weekend - I have all of the ingredients on-hand. Now, my question...
How well do you think they'd freeze? Furthermore, how well do you think they'd reheat in a microwave?
Hi Dave! Yum, grilled asparagus sounds like the perfect replacement for avocado. Roasted sweet potato sounds amazing too though! So many decisions!
They freeze really well (without avo of course), but I haven't tried them in the micro yet. I've only reheated in the oven. Let me know if you give it a try. Have a beautiful weekend 🙂
These are yummy!!! The cilantro rice and beans were perfect in these burritos. Quick and easy recipe that my whole family loved. Thank you for the great recipe.
This is so nice to hear! Thank you for making them 🙂
Hi Dayna, this is wonderful to hear! Thank you for making them 🙂
Awesome! Thanks! Just finished eating them.
Yay! So glad you liked them! Thank you so much 🙂
This looks delicious! It's on my dinner menu for tonight. I have everything to make this! Thabks for the dinner idea.
So nice to hear! Thank you so much! 🙂