This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Sopa de Fideo - a savory Mexican Noodle Soup made with toasted noodles and a flavorful tomato-based broth. It's easy to make, requires simple ingredients and it's budget-friendly, too! The whole family will love this hearty and comforting meal!
Sopa de Fideo is one of the most requested recipes in our home, and it's also one of the easiest recipes to make, so that makes everything better! It literally takes 25 minutes from start to finish and it calls for just 7 ingredients. They are pantry staples, so I can make this savory goodness without taking a trip to the supermarket.
I have a lot of soup recipes on the site because we are major soupaholics and enjoy it all year round. This Fideo Soup is perfect at any time of year, but it's especially great for chilly days or sick days when you need extra comfort.
I was first introduced to this Mexican Noodle Soup when I was pregnant with my son. I was having a hard time with food and nothing was appetizing. This was strange to me because I'm a total foodie.
Well, Nick made his nina's Sopa de Fideo recipe for me one night and I was instantly in love! I craved it most of my pregnancy after that, so maybe that's why my son loves it so much, too!
Ingredients needed to make Sopa de Fideo
️🌟 This is a quick overview with step-by-step photos. For the complete ingredient amounts and instructions, scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Fideo (cut spaghetti)
- Vegetable Broth
- Tomato Purée
- Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Bay Leaf (optional)
That's it! The ingredients are short and simple!
How to make Sopa de Fideo
First, you'll need to brown the fideos in oil over medium heat until golden brown for about 5-6 minutes. This creates lots of deep flavor in the soup! If you cant find fideo, you can use thin spaghetti, vermicelli, or angel hair. Just break it into 1-inch pieces before cooking.
Once the pasta is golden, add the oregano and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. Now add the broth, tomato puree, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat to high to bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to maintain a simmer.
Cook until noodles are tender, but they still have some bite for about 15-18 minutes. Stir often. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. If you want more tomato flavor, stir in a ¼ cup tomato purée and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- I highly recommend using a flavorful broth for this recipe. I really like Better Than Bouillon's Vegetable Base or their no-chicken base. They also carry a Reduced-Sodium Vegetable Base that I love too.
- The simmering time may vary depending on which pasta you choose. Check every so often for preferred tenderness. The pasta will continue to cook after it's removed from heat, so don't overcook it.
- If you don't have tomato purée, you can use tomato sauce in its place. You can also use canned diced tomatoes and blend them into a smooth consistency
Flavor Amp-Up Ideas
This Sopa de Fideo doesn't need anything extra as long as your noodles are toasted well and the broth is flavorful. However, if you'd like to amp it up, you can add a sprinkle of ground cumin, smoked paprika, red chili pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper.
Can I make this gluten-free?
Yes! Just swap out the fideo for your favorite gluten-free brand. I've made this with Jovial Gluten-Free Spaghetti and it turned out great! The noodles aren't as thin as traditional noodles, but I like them because they don't fall apart in the soup. Also, the pasta tends to swell after it sits too long, so it's not so great for leftovers. However, it's so good that you won't have any left to save.
If you want a tomato-based soup that's noodle-free, you might like this Smoky Tomato White Beans Soup. It's just as hearty and comforting!
Can I make it oil-free?
Absolutely! You can dry-toast the noodles instead of browning them in oil. The noodles won't brown the same as they do with oil, but they will still have a toasted flavor. Heat a large pan over medium-low heat and cook the noodles for about 5-8 minutes until golden. Stir often to prevent burning.
Sopa de Fideo is fantastic on its own with a squeeze of fresh lime, chopped cilantro, and a dollop of vegan sour cream. However, you can also serve it with crusty bread, sliced avocado, warm tortillas, or a salad. This fideo soup is great for a quick lunch, a satisfying dinner, or a savory breakfast. You can't go wrong!
More comforting soup recipes to enjoy:
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Roasted Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Ajiaco (Colombian Potato Soup)
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
If you want a variety of comfort food, here are 16 Indulgent Vegan Comfort Food Recipes to choose from. They are totally drool-worthy!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and sharing your feedback in the comment section below. It would really make my day! You can also share your remake with me on Instagram. Just tag #veganhuggs and @veganhuggs so I don’t miss it!
⭐️ Subscribe to the Vegan Huggs Newsletter and receive weekly recipes straight to your inbox! You'll also receive my FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes.
Sopa de Fideo (Mexican Noodle Soup)
Optional Serving Ideas
- Vegan sour cream
- Fresh-cut cilantro
- Fresh lime juice
- Large Pot or Pan
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium heat and then add the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the noodles. Stir frequently until the noodles start to turn a golden color and some pieces are browned, about 4-6 minutes (this gives the soup lots of flavor!). You can toast the noodles longer so more pieces are browned, but make sure to stir constantly at this point to avoid burning. Turn heat lower if needed.
- Add the oregano and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. Now add the broth, tomato puree, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat to high to bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to maintain a simmer. Cook until noodles are tender, but they still have some bite. About 15-18 minutes. Stir often. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve with a lime wedge, fresh-cut cilantro, and a dollop of vegan sour cream if desired. Enjoy!