This post may contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link.
This Vegan Coleslaw Recipe is a lightened up version of the classic we all love. It’s mayo-free and oil-free, yet it’s still so rich and creamy.
I’ve been getting a lot of requests for an oil-free Vegan Coleslaw Recipe over the last few weeks. And since I’ve made so many creamy-based dressings that are oil-free, I knew this would be an easy recipe to deliver. I’m very happy with the final results and excited to share it with you guys.
Coleslaw is pretty healthy because it’s mostly made up of raw veggies, but when it’s doused in a ton of mayo, it’s not so healthy anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll still eat mayo-based coleslaw any day of the week (vegan, of course), but it’s nice to make lightened up versions of my favorite recipes, too.
If you’re trying to reduce the amount of oil in your diet, a good place to start is salad dressing. Keep a few of your favorites on hand and use it for dipping, sandwiches, wraps, marinade, pasta, potatoes, stir-fry and more.
Ingredients for Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
Even though this slaw is mayo-free and oil-free, it’s still super creamy and rich, just like a classic coleslaw recipe. For the creamy consistency, I used Raw Cashews, Unsweetened Non-Dairy Yogurt, and Unsweetened Non-Dairy milk.
I prefer the taste of So Delicious Yogurt over any other brand. It has a neutral flavor and I use it for so many sweet and savory recipes. It works perfectly in my Vegan Cream Cheese. If you can’t find the So Delicious brand, try to find another coconut-based one.
For that classic tangy and subtly sweet flavor, I added Lemon Juice, Apple Cider Vinegar, Dijon Mustard, and Agave Syrup. Then I added Fresh Garlic, Onion Powder, Sea Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper to add that finishing touch.
This dressing is very easy to customize, so feel free to add or omit some ingredients to suit your taste. It’s best to start conservative and you can add from there.
It’s so easy to make too! Just soak the cashews in water for 4 hours or more (discard soaking water when finished), then blend them up with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Now place it in the fridge while you prepare your veggies.
Shred your coleslaw veggies!
The ingredients are short and simple. You’ll need green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, and parsley. Sometimes I’ll add green onion and a little basil or cilantro too.
You’ll want to shred the cabbage fairly thin so it softens up nicely. It’s pretty easy to do, just make sure you have a sturdy working surface and a sharp chef’s knife. This article on How To Shred Cabbage might be helpful to you. It has step-by-step photos too.
You can skip this entire step and buy everything pre-shredded (except the parsley, that needs to be chopped). I usually buy the carrots pre-cut because it saves so much time and my carrots always look a little wonky. So those perfect carrots above are store-bought. Amen! Do what works for you, too!
Now put it all together!
To a large mixing bowl, add the shredded cabbage, carrots, and chopped parsley. Toss to combine well. Now pour on 1 cup of dressing and toss to coat. Check for desired consistency and add more dressing if needed.
I usually add the whole batch of dressing, because I like it super creamy, but if you’re unsure, you can just add more after the coleslaw has chilled too.
Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to let the flavors marinate. Toss once more before serving. Taste for flavor and add more if needed. Top with fresh cracked pepper and more parsley if desired.
So many ways to enjoy Creamy Vegan Coleslaw
You can serve it as a side to pretty much any meal, but it also makes a great topping or filling. Here are some tasty ideas:
– Hot dogs
– Spring rolls
– And more!
*If you’d like to pin for later*
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Vegan Coleslaw Recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Creamy Vegan Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 large head green cabbage , finely shredded (about 9-10 cups)
- 1/2 small head red cabbage , finely shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots , shredded
- 1/4 cup parsley , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews , soaked in water for 4 hours
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt , unsweetened
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk , unsweetend
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh squeezed
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1 clove garlic (sub 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- Add all dressing ingredients to a high-speed blender (discard cashew soaking water). Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust flavors if needed. * Keep in mind, that the flavors will be concentrated, but it will be covering a lot of vegetables.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the cabbage, carrots, and parsley. Toss to combine. Now pour on 1 cup of dressing and toss to coat. Check for desired consistency and add more dressing if needed (I usually add the whole batch). You can always add more after the coleslaw has chilled too.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to let the flavors marinate. Toss once more before serving. Taste for flavor and add more if needed. Top with fresh cracked pepper and more parsley if desired.