This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Creamy Vegan Potato Salad is flavorful & satisfying. It's gluten-free, dairy-free and guilt-free. It's the perfect side dish for most meals.
We are right in the middle of summer...
and it seems like the perfect time to share my favorite Creamy Vegan Potato Salad recipe. I know, I know...there are thousands of potato salad recipes online and do we really need another?
Well, the answer is YES! We sure do! Especially, a deliciously creamy, vegan version.
Growing up, potato salad was a staple at family picnics, barbecues and other casual gatherings (I think many of us can relate) It was always homemade and was always the first to disappear (I definitely helped with that).
These days, I don't get to enjoy many gatherings, because I live across the country. However, between visits, I keep the tradition going at our home and I created my own veganized version for my family to enjoy.
I make it a lot in the warmer months, which is most of the year here. It's one side dish that doesn't get boring. I have a few different potato salad recipes, but this one is most requested.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST VEGAN POTATO SALAD
I like it my potato salad somewhat tender, but not the mashed version. It needs to have some bite and texture, but not overly crunchy either. I peel and cube the potatoes and cook them until they are just tender for about 8-10 minutes. This creates a tender potato that keeps most of its shape. It's the perfect foundation for the rest of the ingredients and they won't get lost in a mashed blob.
This potato salad is loaded with fresh herbs & veggies, which adds a wonderful variety of flavors, textures, and colors (it also makes it more nutritious). It turns a basic looking potato salad, into a beautiful and colorful side dish. In this recipe, I added celery, red bell pepper, green onion, fresh dill, pickles & sweet corn. They add a nice crunch and the colors just pop and make it even more appetizing. t's a real crowd pleaser and will be the star at your next casual gathering.
I kept the base flavor a little classic, by using vegan mayonnaise and a touch of mustard. This keeps your tater salad creamy, with a touch of zing in every bite. If you really want to kick up the zing, add a touch of pickle juice to the mix. Potato salad is ridiculously versatile, so feel free to add or take away some ingredients.
Make it your own and have fun with it. It's almost impossible to mess up!
You don't need a special occasion to make this comforting side dish
So, why not give this Creamy Vegan Potato Salad a try tonight? I guarantee you'll have some happy campers sitting at the table, and I betcha they'll even do the dishes if you promise to make it again. 😉
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this Vegan Potato Salad, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Creamy Vegan Potato Salad
- 8 medium russet potatoes, cleaned, peeled & cubed into bite-sized pieces (all same size)
- 1 tablespoon salt & 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (for cooking water)
- 1 - 1 ½ cups vegan mayonaise (*see note)
- Juice of one lime or lemon (sub apple cider vinegar, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- ⅓ cup pickles, diced
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper, more to taste
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- ½ cup corn (fresh or thawed frozen)
- Place the cubed potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water (1-2 inches over potatoes). Add the salt & vinegar (*see note). Over high heat, bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low boil. Cook until potatoes are just tender & easily pierced with a paring knife or fork, with little resistance when falling off. About 8-10 minutes.
- When potatoes are done, drain them well using a colander & transfer them to a large mixing bowl. While hot, squeeze the lime juice over the potatoes. Fold gently to combine. (This will help the potatoes absorb the zingy flavor). Let potatoes cool.
- While the potatoes are cooling, prepare your dressing. In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup of mayo (*see note), mustard, herbs, spices, salt and pepper (except paprika.) Whisk together until well combined.
- When potatoes have cooled, place the pickles & veggies in the large mixing bowl and pour on the dressing. Fold gently until ingredients are combined. Taste for any additional seasoning, add more as needed. Place in fridge to chill for 1-2 hours so the flavors will marinate well. (It can also be served immediately if preferred)
- Before serving add the extra ½ cup of mayo (if needed) and sprinkle with paprika. Enjoy!