This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Start your day off right with this nutrient-packed Acai Bowl Recipe. It's light and refreshing, yet completely satisfying. It takes just minutes to make and requires simple ingredients.
Now that back-to-school is here, I need quick, healthy and tasty breakfast recipes to kickstart my son's day. So, we're back on the smoothie bowl train! The good thing is that he really loves them and looks forward to digging in every morning.
If you haven't tried an acai bowl recipe before, you should really give it a shot. It's like a traditional smoothie, but it's much creamier and thicker, so you can add lots of fun and healthy toppings, which turns it into a satisfying meal. They are completely customizable and you can make a different one every day.
I’ll never give up regular smoothies because they’re great for on-the-go, but an acai bowl is perfect for a quick sit down meal that's delicious and nutritious.
WHAT IS ACAI?
Acai berries (pronounced ah-sigh-EE) are a superfood packed with antioxidants, omegas, friendly fiber, and heart-healthy fats. They have a beautiful dark purple color and grow on the acai palm trees in the Amazon Rainforest of Brazil. They're known as the king of the superfruit jungle due to their high antioxidant power.
Fresh acai berries have a cocoa berry flavor and they aren't very sweet on their own. Tasting like a cross between raspberries and dark chocolate. Some people would describe them as slightly bitter. However, adding just a hint of sweetness brings out their rich flavor.
WHAT'S IN AN ACAI BOWL RECIPE?
Acai bowls are a fun, healthy and delicious way to start your morning and will surely put a pep in your step! They are naturally sweetened and just good for you! Acai is the star of the show, but you can add other fruit to complement its flavor.
HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Acai frozen packs
- Coconut milk
- Frozen mixed berries
- Chia seeds
HOW TO MAKE AN ACAI BOWL?
This part is super easy and only takes a few minutes! Just place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and give it a whirl. Use the tamper to push the fruit into the blades. This will break it down fast. Now you've got yourself a bowlful of yummy goodness!
WHAT TOPPINGS CAN I USE FOR AN ACAI BOWL RECIPE?
The sky's the limit, so have fun with it! Here are some tasty ideas: coconut flakes, sliced strawberries, blueberries, buckwheat groats, granola, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, nut butter, dried fruit, edible flowers, fresh mint.
TIPS FOR THE BEST ACAI BOWL:
- Have all your toppings ready before you begin. The acai bowl starts to melt quickly so you want to serve it right away.
- Put the liquid or any soft ingredients in the blender first so you don't strain the motor.
- A high-speed blender works the best, but if you don't have one, you can use a food processor and scrape down the sides as needed.
- For a thicker and creamier consistency, you can add non-dairy yogurt instead of milk or add half an avocado. You can also add more frozen fruit as needed.
- If it's too thick, just add more non-dairy milk as needed. Acai bowls are very forgiving and so easy to adjust.
If you want more tips on how to make various smoothie bowls, you may want to check out this informative article by VNutrition.
NEED MORE QUICK AND EASY BREAKFAST IDEAS? CHECK THESE OUT:
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you try this Acai Bowl Recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Acai Bowl Recipe
- 1 cup coconut milk or any plant-based milk (more if needed)
- 1.5 cups mixed berries , frozen
- 1 large banana , ripened
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (sub flax seeds)
- 2 Acai Frozen Packs , unsweetened
- To a high-powered blender, add the coconut milk and banana first, then add the remaining ingredients (break the acai packets in two). Blend on high until creamy and smooth, using the tamper as needed.
- The consistency should be very thick, but if it's too thick for the blender to move, add a few splashes of milk. If it's too thin, add more frozen fruit. Pour into two small bowls and add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!