This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
A healthy and kind twist on a classic, this Vegan BLT is made with smoky-sweet baked tempeh bacon. It’s so easy to make, just marinate, and bake for 20 minutes or less.
Have you heard about the TTLA craze at Whole Foods? It’s basically a Vegan BLT, but instead of mayo, they add vegan garlic aioli. It’s also served with avocado slices, red onion and pressed ciabatta bread.
The TTLA was made famous by actress, Tabitha Brown’s viral video of her happily eating the sandwich. Her genuine enthusiasm had everyone running to get one.
Sadly, I still haven’t made it to Whole Foods because they are almost an hour from me. But, I’ve been making my own classic Vegan BLTs for years and this video sparked me to share it on Vegan Huggs.
I don’t usually buy the premade tempeh bacon, because it’s so easy to make it homemade. I like adding my own flavoring and easily switching it up too.
What is Tempeh?
It’s typically made from whole fermented soybeans and it usually comes in block form. Some contain only soybeans and some also include grains and seeds.
Tempeh has a hearty texture and a mild nutty flavor. It does have a slight bitterness too, but I usually don’t notice it after cooking in seasonings.
However, if that slight bitterness bothers you, the tempeh can be steamed for 10 minutes before marinating. This will mellow it out.
I love tempeh because it’s healthy, protein-rich, and it has a great texture. BUT, without seasonings, it’s kind of blah! That’s where the marinade comes in and It will turn that blah into oh-so-tasty!
How do you make Tempeh Bacon?
Cut the tempeh block into 1/4 ” slices (see photo above).
Whisk the marinade ingredients together and pour into an 8 ” rimmed shallow dish or baking dish.
Place the tempeh slices into your prepared marinade and let the pieces marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes or longer if preferred.
Place the marinated strips on your parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving a little room in between each piece.
Pop the pan in the oven and bake until lightly browned and the surface is slightly crisp on each side. Watch the tempeh closely to prevent burning.
Time to make your Baked Tempeh Vegan BLT
To assemble your sandwich, coat each bread slice with vegan mayo and top with tomato slices, lettuce, and tempeh bacon. Close bread together and cut if desired.
Make it your own!
I made a classic Vegan BLT which I love, but feel free to add your own twist. You can add things like hummus, guacamole, avocado slices, red onion, chipotle sauce, garlic aioli, pickles, jalapénos, roasted peppers, sauteéd mushrooms and so much more.
Good sides to go with BLT Sandwiches:
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Vegan BLT, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan BLT with Baked Tempeh Bacon
- 8 ounces tempeh (*not all brands are GF)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo , more to taste
- 8 slices bread (GF if preferred)
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes , sliced
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or preferred oil)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium tamari GF if preferred (sub soy)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- Preheat oven to 350° F (176° C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add all marinade ingredients and whisk to combine well. Pour marinade into an 8 " rimmed shallow dish or baking dish.
- Cut tempeh into 1/4 " slices. * If you cut them thinner, the tempeh falls apart easily in the marinade.
- Now place the tempeh slices into your marinade. Gently flip to coat all sides well. Let the pieces marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes or longer if preferred.
- Place the marinated strips on your prepared baking sheet, leaving a little room in between each piece (*save leftover marinade). Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. *If the tempeh seems dry, you can lightly brush on some leftover marinade.
- Now gently flip each slice with tongs and bake 8-10 minutes more, until lightly browned and the surface is slightly crisp (*The inside remains soft). Watch closely to prevent burning. Remove from oven.
- To assemble your BLT, coat each bread slice with mayo and top with tomato slices, lettuce, and tempeh bacon. Close sandwich and cut if desired. Enjoy!