This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Oil-Free Avocado Pesto is super creamy, cheesy, zesty and totally healthy for you. It takes less than 15 minutes to make and calls for 9 simple ingredients.
I love fresh pesto all year round! It puts an extra zing in almost everything I eat. This Zucchini Pesto was my friend all summer long and I piled it on sandwiches, pizza, pasta and yep, ate it straight outta the jar. Now I’ve switched it up to this Creamy Avocado Pesto and I want to share the goodness with you guys.
It’s just as healthy as my zucchini version and it’s also oil-free too! My good friend, Amy, from Veggies Save The Day inspired me to make an oil-free version. I’ve made her Avocado Basil Pesto Pasta and it was incredibly delicious without the oil.
My diet isn’t completely oil-free, but I try to limit it whenever I can. Pesto is something I eat all the time, so It just made sense to have a lighter version. This Avocado Pesto is still rich, cheesy and creamy. It’s just missing a ton of fat from the oil.
– Fresh Basil
– Pine nuts
– Fresh garlic
– Nutritional yeast (gives it that cheesy taste)
– Salt & Pepper
– Fresh lemon juice
Seems pretty easy, right? I hope you’ll give it a try! 🙂
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Avocado Pesto, I’d love to hear what you think in the comment section below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Oil-Free Avocado Pesto
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1 cup basil leaves , tightly packed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1-2 cloves garlic , more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste (or preferred salt)
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 4-6 tablespoons water , more if needed
- Add all the ingredients (except the water) to a blender or food processor. Pulse for 10-20 times to combine and chop. Now add the water as needed, and keep pulsing until you've reached desired consistency. I prefer my pesto with texture, but if you want it smooth, just blend on high for 30-60 seconds. Taste for seasoning and add more as needed.