This Roasted Tomato Soup recipe is a creamy, rich, and flavorful concoction made of fresh ingredients. The tomatoes, onions, and garlic are roasted to provide a deep, smoky flavor that is irresistible! The prep is quick, the ingredients are simple and it takes just 30 minutes to cook.
Everyone loves a good bowl of tomato soup! I mean, who doesn’t experience a nostalgic moment when enjoying a mouthful of this classic? Very few, I would think. A lot of people try to recreate the tomato soup of their childhood, which is why there are so many variations of this recipe out there!
I prefer roasting fresh tomatoes due to three reasons. First, it brings out the natural sweetness and intensifies the flavor of these juicy veggies. Second, unlike other vegetables that lose nutrients when cooked, tomatoes become healthier when applied to heat!
The lycopene content is released therefore can be easily absorbed by our bodies. And lastly, it is so much easier than standing in front of the stovetop and constantly stirring. Roasting them first makes them easier to blend later on.
Ingredients You'll Need + Substitute Ideas
(full amounts and instructions in the recipe card below)
- Tomatoes - You can use Roma, cherry, vine-ripened, heirloom, or whatever is available. Just make sure to select the plump ripe ones for this recipe!
- Onions - Roasting them softens the bite and creates a deep caramelized flavor with a subtle sweetness. You can also use shallots for a softer flavor.
- Garlic - fresh cloves are the way to go here. They turn buttery, soft, and subtly sweet after roasting.
- Basil leaves - adding basil leaves to tomato soup is almost a given. The flavors work so well together!
- Balsamic vinegar – this gives the soup a rich and dark acidity that balances the sweetness of the tomatoes.
- Crushed Chili Flakes - adds a nice hint of spiciness. A good substitute is a ¼ teaspoon of cayenne powder.
- Smoked Paprika - provides a woodsy flavor and smoky aroma to the soup.
- Coconut Milk - It provides a wonderfully rich and creamy mouthfeel. I prefer to use full-fat coconut milk, but you can use lite coconut milk or any unsweetened non-dairy milk or creamer that you prefer.
- Broth - this will add more savory flavor to compliment the other ingredients. I use low-sodium, but you can use regular. If you do, you might want to reduce the salt in the recipe.
Tips And Tricks
- With so many tomatoes to choose from, you only have one thing to keep in mind: Choose the ripest and plumpest tomatoes you can find! This article shares helpful tips on buying good tomatoes.
- If your tomatoes aren't optimal, which can happen when they are off-season, you can add a tablespoon of tomato paste for added intensity! I like to sauté it in a splash of oil over medium heat for 30-60 seconds before adding the other ingredients to the pot. This will soften the sharpness a little.
- For an even tastier end result, you can add more flavors to your tomato soup before serving by adding a spoonful of sun-dried tomato or basil pesto, a dollop of vegan yogurt, vegan sour cream, or some grated vegan mozzarella or cheddar cheese on top!
- No need to peel the tomatoes or remove the seeds, unless you prefer to.
What can I serve with Tomato Soup?
You can stick with the classic and make a vegan grilled cheese sandwich. Or you can pair it with my homemade artisan bread recipe! You can also serve it with a delicious fresh salad!
How long does it keep?
Place your leftovers in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Since this recipe contains vegan cream, I do not recommend freezing it. If you do have plans of storing it away in your freezer for future use, do not add the cream. You can add it later on when you are ready to reheat and serve.
More Soup Recipes To Try
I Love To Hear From You
If you make this Roasted Tomato Soup recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds ripened tomatoes , sliced in half
- 2 medium onions , quartered. Leave on paper skin.
- 5 cloves garlic , with paper skin attached.
- 2-3 slices bread , cubed
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable stock , low sodium
- ¼ cup canned coconut milk or unsweetened vegan cream
- Handful of basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. (220 C)
- Place the tomatoes and onions on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly charred. Toss midway through.
- Place the garlic and bread cubes on a separate baking tray. Sprinkle cubes with salt and pepper if desired. Bake for 10 minutes or until bread is crispy and garlic is slightly golden and fragrant. Toss midway through. Remove both trays from the oven and allow to cool just enough to handle.
- Set aside the prepared croutons. Peel the garlic and remove the onion skin.
- Add the vegetable stock, roasted tomatoes along with juices, onion, garlic, basil leaves, balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, chili flakes, cream, salt, and pepper to a pot over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes until warmed throughout. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth (alternatively, you can transfer to a blender).
- Serve and enjoy! See note for topping ideas.
Useful Tools To make This Recipe
- 2 Rimmed Baking Sheets