This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup is rich, creamy, and satisfying! It's perfect for weeknights and it will be on your table in no time!
I've been meaning to share an Instant Pot version of my Vegan Potato Leek Soup for some time now. To date, it's the most popular recipe on the blog and I get many requests on how to make it in the IP. Well, it was ridiculously easy to adjust and I'm super happy with the results.
I love my Instant Pot and use it a ton, especially for busy weeknight meals. It takes the maintenance out of cooking and keeps you out of the kitchen. I use it for dry beans, legumes, rice dishes, soups, stews, vegan yogurt, steel-cut oats, and the best Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto, ever!
I have this 6-Quart Instant Pot Duo Plus with 9-in-1 Function. It's the perfect size for my recipes and countertops.
What are leeks?
They look like a giant scallion which they are related to, along with onions, garlic, and shallots. However, they have a delicate and subtly sweet flavor compared to their counterparts. You can use them to replace onion in a recipe or use them in conjunction for an extra layer of flavor.
Leeks are grown in very deep soil and more is piled on top to keep them tender. This will trap lots of dirt between their layers, so make sure to clean them thoroughly to avoid sandy soup.
How to make Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
(full ingredient amount in recipe card below)
- Sauté the leeks and onions until softened using the sauté feature.
- Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté until fragrant.
- Cancel the sauté feature and add the potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Close and secure the lid, then set timer for 6 minutes on high pressure.
- Once the timer beeps and the float valve goes down, you can open the lid. Remove the bay leaves.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Blend until creamy and smooth using an immersion blender (or regular blender). Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
Can I freeze it?
Absolutely, it freezes really well! Just leave the coconut milk out of the portion you'll be freezing. When you're ready to make the soup, defrost it overnight in the fridge and heat it up slowly on the stove. Add the coconut milk when it's fully heated.
More soup recipes to enjoy
- Vegan Corn Chowder
- Instant Pot Yellow Split Pea Soup
- Vegan Ajiaco (Colombian Potato Soup)
- Chickpea Curry Soup
- Vegan Cauliflower Soup
I love to hear from you
If you make this Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or preferred oil (vegan butter works too)
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 medium leeks , cleaned well & sliced (white & light green part only) *See note
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 small (2 pounds) russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 cup canned coconut milk , shaken well (or any unsweetened non-dairy milk)
- Pressure Cooker
- Turn on the sauté feature of your Instant Pot and add the oil. When heated, add the leeks and onions. Sauté until softened, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Cancel the sauté function. Now add the potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Close and secure the lid. Turn the steam release handle to the Sealing position. Push the Pressure Cooker (Manual Setting) button to high pressure and set the time to 6 minutes by using the + or - button.
- The cooker will beep when the time is up. Carefully turn the steam release handle to the Venting position (It will loudly spurt out lots of steam and some water). Once the Float Valve goes down you can open the lid.
- Remove the bay leaves and add the coconut milk (shake can first). Using an immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until creamy and smooth. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. If the soup is too thick for your taste, you can add a small amount of vegetable broth to thin it out. See notes for topping ideas.
- Cleaning Leeks: leeks can be very dirty inside the layers because they are grown in deep soil. To clean thoroughly, cut off the dark green part and discard (or save for stock). Cut off the roots, and slice the stalk lengthwise in half. Now slice the leek into pieces. Place in a small bowl of water and swish around to release the dirt. Place in a colander and drain well.
- Topping Ideas: swirled coconut milk, fresh-cracked pepper, squeeze of lemon, fresh-cut chives, or green onions.
- The cook time doesn't include the Instant Pot preheating time. This can take 8-12 minutes and takes place after you seal the pot and set the timer.
- Don't have an Instant Pot? No worries, you can make my stovetop version HERE.
Delicious! We loved it!
You are welcome, Linda. 🙂
So bomb!!! Thank you!
You are welcome, Gordon. 🙂 Thanks for trying this recipe.
This is the best soup! Loved by non vegan family members also, so flavorful and very filling. Easy to make and the immersion blender is an absolute must!
I am happy everyone enjoyed it. Paula! 🙂
Delicious!! I prepared as written, no need to adjust.. Thank you Melissa!
It is my pleasure, Katherine. I am happy you like it. 🙂
Simple and Delicious
Thanks for the great feedback Sher.🙂