This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole ~ a must-have classic for your holiday table! It’s warm-spiced and perfectly sweet!
Hey guys! As promised, here is my Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole recipe! It’s cutting it close, but you still have time to get the ingredients. I’m going tonight to get a few more ingredients for my Mushroom-Walnut Meatless Loaf.
A lot of readers have been asking for more Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Recipes and this one was the easiest to adjust. I just omitted the flour in the pecan crumble.
You can add gluten-free flour to the crumbs, but I felt it didn’t need it. The pecans, vegan butter, and brown sugar make perfect crumbs together and bake up nicely.
If you want fluffier crumbs, just add 1/4 cup gluten-free flour and more melted butter if needed. You can also use all-purpose if you’d like.
How to make Pecan Crumble Topping:
(printable recipe is at the end of the post)
- STEP 1 – melt vegan butter.
- STEP 2 – put the pecans in your food processor and pulse them into crumbs.
- STEP 3 – add the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pulse a few times
How to make Sweet Potato Casserole
STEP 1 – Peel and chop the potatoes first. You can cut them pretty big, just make sure they are around the same size so they cook evenly. Drain and return to pot.
STEP 2 – Boil them in a large pot of water until fork tender
STEP 3 – Melt butter in a small pot, then whisk in the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. When it’s slightly warmed, remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
STEP 4 – Now mash and whip the potatoes up. I do this by hand but you can use a stand mixer or food processor. Whip in the warmed mixture until combined well. Add more seasoning if needed.
STEP 5 – Place the mash evenly in a 2-quart casserole dish. Now top with that delicious buttery pecan topping. Bake until heated throughout and golden on top.
Can I make Sweet Potato Casserole in advance?
Absolutely! Just fill the casserole dish with your sweet potato mash (don’t bake), and leave off the crumb topping until the day of. Cool before storing in the fridge for 1-2 days (keep covered).
Add the crumb topping when the casserole is ready to go in the oven. Cover with foil and bake at 350 °F for 30-40 minutes until heated throughout. Remove foil and bake until topping is golden brown.
* If you’re traveling, just bring the crumb topping with you in a container.
Don’t miss these Thanksgiving classics:
- Vegan Sourdough Bread Stuffing
- Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
- Apple Cranberry Sauce
Have a safe and peaceful holiday!
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter , melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add pecans to a food processor and pulse into small crumbs.
- Now add melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Pulse 2-3 times to incorporate (don't over pulse or it will clump) Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat and then reduce heat to maintain a medium boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes until fork tender. Drain well and place back in the pot.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a small pot over medium-low heat. Now whisk in the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and *optional brown sugar. Whisk until well combined and slightly warmed. Now remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Mash and whip up the potatoes in the large pot until smooth (you can also use a stand mixer or food processor). Add the warmed mixture to the pot and combine well. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Now place the sweet potato mash into your casserole dish in an even layer. Top with pecan crumble and bake for 20-30 minutes until heated throughout and topping is golden brown. (*optional: put 4-5 pieces of whole pecans on top of crumble). Enjoy!
- I feel this casserole has the perfect amount of sweetness, but feel free to add more or less to suit your taste.