This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Bring on the Creamy Mashed Potatoes & Mushroom Gravy! This traditional holiday goodness is so easy to make, super creamy, comforting and it’s the whole enchilada for your holiday meal.
We’re getting down to the wire here – Thanksgiving is just 2 days away! Gah! I just posted my Vegan Green Bean Casserole on Saturday, and now I’m here to present to you – my Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy. A must for all holiday tables!
Potatoes cooked in most forms are comforting and delicious, BUT mashed & smothered in a creamy, savory & rich mushroom gravy? Well, now that’s on another level and I think most of us can relate.
This is the epitome of comfort food! Mashed potatoes and gravy are a match made in heaven – who can resist the fluffiness, creaminess & savoriness? I sure can’t…let me at it! Pass the shovel, please!
These mashed taters are so simple to make and they are super creamy & buttery. This recipe is almost effortless and you won’t need anything fancy just a good old potato masher.
Go for the gold when you go for the potatoes – Yukon Gold, that is! Seriously, if you want fluffy & buttery potatoes without buttloads of butter, then go for these potatoes – you won’t’ regret it! They are the key to the creamiest, butteriest potatoes on the planet.
If you wanna kick things up a notch, add some roasted garlic to these dreamy potatoes. Just use 4-5 roasted cloves and mash them into the mix. You’ll add an extra buttery, sweet, caramelized & nutty flavor to your potatoes. You can also add some chives, green onion, or rosemary – you name it.
Let’s talk more about this mouth-watering mushroom gravy…
It will be your best friend at your next dinner party. It’s rich, savory, creamy and delightful. Seriously, it can be poured over everything on your plate, so you might want to make extra for those pesky guests!
There’s no greasy drippings (a.k.a melted animal fat) in this rich & savory sauce, just sautéed onions, garlic, mushrooms, vegan butter, vegetable broth, organic flour, and seasonings. It’s simple, tasty & smooth.
You won’t be clogging your arteries with this tasty vegan gravy either. Bonus!
I kept this gravy simple with minimal ingredients, but feel free to amp it up with a pinch of thyme or a teaspoon of nooch (a.k.a. nutritional yeast).
Now you don’t have to reserve this goodness just for a holiday dinner, you can enjoy this with lunch, a weeknight meal, or hell even breakfast! Yep, it’s been done many times around here!
Ok guys, now it’s crunch time. I have one more recipe to go up tomorrow, and it will be the grand finale of the Thanksgiving festivities. I’m so excited to share it with Y’all! I hope my fingers can type it up in time (tick-tock). Wish me luck! I’ll be back real soon 🙂
I’d love to hear from you
If you make these Creamy Mashed Potatoes & Mushroom Gravy, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion , diced small
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 8 oz mushrooms , diced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (low Sodium)
- 3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (sub soy sauce) ** See note
- 2.5 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes , cleaned w/ skins left on. (if potatoes are large, cut in half) *** See note
- 4 tablespoons Vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste (+2 teaspoons for boiling water)
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 - 1 cup soy milk , unsweetened (or any plant-based milk) *More as needed
- In a large pan over medium heat, add butter and a pinch of salt. Sauté the onions & garlic until translucent & lightly browned about 4-6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms & sauté until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in remaining salt & pepper.
- Add flour and combine well. Stir & cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Add Worcestershire sauce. Lightly simmer for 5-7 minutes until gravy thickens up.
- Taste for salt and add more as needed.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, and cover with cold water (1-2 inches over potatoes). Add two teaspoons of salt to the water. Over high heat, bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low boil. Cook until potatoes are very tender & easily pierced with a pairing knife or fork, with no resistance when falling off. About 25-30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well, and place back in pot. Return pot to stove. Over low heat, mash potatoes for 1-2 minutes, to let the steam escape.
- Now add butter, 1/4 cup milk salt & pepper. Mash until smooth & creamy. Add an additional 1/4 cup of milk at a time, as needed. *You might not need all the milk. Be careful, because too much milk can make the potatoes soupy.
- Taste for salt and add as needed. Enjoy!