This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Bring on the Creamy Mashed Potatoes & Mushroom Gravy! This traditional holiday goodness is so easy to make, super creamy, and comforting and it's the whole enchilada for your holiday meal.
We're getting down to the wire here - Thanksgiving is just 2 days away! Gah! I just posted my Vegan Green Bean Casserole on Saturday, and now I'm here to present to you - my Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy. A must for all holiday tables!
Potatoes cooked in most forms are comforting and delicious, BUT mashed & smothered in a creamy, savory & rich mushroom gravy? Well, now that's on another level and I think most of us can relate.
This is the epitome of comfort food! Mashed potatoes and gravy are a match made in heaven - who can resist the fluffiness, creaminess & savoriness? I sure can't...let me at it! Pass the shovel, please!
These mashed taters are so simple to make and they are super creamy & buttery. This recipe is almost effortless and you won't need anything fancy just a good old potato masher.
Go for the gold when you go for the potatoes - Yukon Gold, that is! Seriously, if you want fluffy & buttery potatoes without buttloads of butter, then go for these potatoes - you won't' regret it! They are the key to the creamiest, butteriest potatoes on the planet.
If you wanna kick things up a notch, add some roasted garlic to these dreamy potatoes. Just use 4-5 roasted cloves and mash them into the mix. You'll add an extra buttery, sweet, caramelized & nutty flavor to your potatoes. You can also add some chives, green onion, or rosemary - you name it.
Let's talk more about this mouth-watering mushroom gravy...
It will be your best friend at your next dinner party. It's rich, savory, creamy and delightful. Seriously, it can be poured over everything on your plate, so you might want to make extra for those pesky guests!
There's no greasy drippings (a.k.a melted animal fat) in this rich & savory sauce, just sautéed onions, garlic, mushrooms, vegan butter, vegetable broth, organic flour, and seasonings. It's simple, tasty & smooth.
You won't be clogging your arteries with this tasty vegan gravy either. Bonus!
I kept this gravy simple with minimal ingredients, but feel free to amp it up with a pinch of thyme or a teaspoon of nooch (a.k.a. nutritional yeast).
Now you don't have to reserve this goodness just for a holiday dinner, you can enjoy this with lunch, a weeknight meal, or hell even breakfast! Yep, it's been done many times around here!
Ok guys, now it's crunch time. I have one more recipe to go up tomorrow, and it will be the grand finale of the Thanksgiving festivities. I'm so excited to share it with Y'all! I hope my fingers can type it up in time (tick-tock). Wish me luck! I'll be back real soon 🙂
I’d love to hear from you
If you make these Creamy Mashed Potatoes & Mushroom Gravy, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or olive oil
- ½ medium onion , diced small
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 8 oz mushrooms , diced
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth (low Sodium)
- ¾ teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- ¾ teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (sub soy sauce) ** See note
- 2.5 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes , cleaned w/ skins left on. (if potatoes are large, cut in half) *** See note
- 4 tablespoons Vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste (+2 teaspoons for boiling water)
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- ¼ - 1 cup soy milk , unsweetened (or any plant-based milk) *More as needed
- In a large pan over medium heat, add butter and a pinch of salt. Sauté the onions & garlic until translucent & lightly browned about 4-6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms & sauté until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in remaining salt & pepper.
- Add flour and combine well. Stir & cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Add Worcestershire sauce. Lightly simmer for 5-7 minutes until gravy thickens up.
- Taste for salt and add more as needed.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, and cover with cold water (1-2 inches over potatoes). Add two teaspoons of salt to the water. Over high heat, bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a low boil. Cook until potatoes are very tender & easily pierced with a pairing knife or fork, with no resistance when falling off. About 25-30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well, and place back in pot. Return pot to stove. Over low heat, mash potatoes for 1-2 minutes, to let the steam escape.
- Now add butter, ¼ cup milk salt & pepper. Mash until smooth & creamy. Add an additional ¼ cup of milk at a time, as needed. *You might not need all the milk. Be careful, because too much milk can make the potatoes soupy.
- Taste for salt and add as needed. Enjoy!
Made this gravy as an accessory to the Holiday Roast. My wife and I both loved it and will keep it as a go-to gravy. I made a couple of adjustments, such as adding a 1/4 of red wine, I used rye flour, and I used dried porcini mushrooms which I soaked for two days.
Thanks for your recipes.
Support @ Vegan Huggs
Hi Randy! We are so happy to hear that the modifications worked well and that you both enjoyed the recipe! Thanks so much for trying it out 🙂
There amazing thanks for sharing.
Support @ Vegan Huggs
Hi Tina! Thank you for giving the recipe a try 🙂
Leading kids to a veg journey
If I were to add nutritional yeast and thyme, at what point should I add it in? I can’t wait to make this and hope it turns out like yours!!
I would add the thyme to the mushrooms in the last minute of cooktime. Then I would add the nutritional yeast with the broth. I hope this helps 🙂
Bomb recipe, just made it, 10/10, added it to my 'alltimefavorites' folder 🙂
What a nice compliment! Thank you for giving it a try 🙂
I made the mushroom gravy the other night and followed the recipe exactly. It was DELICIOUS. I'm actually not even vegan, but I'm hosting a Christmas party and a few guests coming are vegan. I wanted them to have a vegan gravy choice, and I am happy to report that this is some of the most delicious gravy I've ever tasted. Even my meat-eating husband said that he prefers this to an animal-based gravy. Thanks for the great recipe!
Hi Lisa, Yay, this is so wonderful to hear! Thank you for making it and sharing your feedback. You're so kind to make something extra for your vegan friends. They will be so happy! Have a Merry Christmas! 🙂
Absolutely delicious - thanks for such a great recipe!!!
Hi Amy! Thank you so much!! SO happy you liked it. 🙂
I wish I could have mashed potatoes right now!
These mashed potatoes and gravy look like the perfect side dish - every week!
Thank you, Ginny! It's a popular dish around here 🙂
I'm pretty sure I could eat mashed potatoes every day!
Me too! 🙂
Mel | avirtualvegan.com
What great looking mashed potatoes and gravy! I could totally eat that as a meal! It's so rich and dark. I love gravy like that :O)
Thank you, Melanie! I like darker gravy, too 🙂
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
I love mushroom gravy! Your potatoes look fabulous!
Thank you, Amy! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Dianne's Vegan Kitchen
I'm always too lazy to make my own gravy, but you make it look so easy!
Thank you, Dianne. I get lazy sometimes too, but I'll make it if I have mushrooms in the fridge.
I'm certain I could make a meal out of JUST this!! These potatoes look ultra creamy and that mushroom gravy I could eat with a spoon! Happy Thanksgiving!
Thank you, Jenn! They are my favorite holiday side. Happy Thanksgiving!
Mary Ellen @ VNutrition
These mashed potatoes and gravy have made my mouth water! I am going to try to get these on the menu for Thanksgiving!
Thank you, Mary Ellen! Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂
Oh my gosh, this looks so rich and delicious!
Thank you, Becky 🙂