This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Vegan Spicy Sausage Rice is the ultimate comfort food, with a hearty and flavorful combination of rice, vegan sausage, veggies, and savory spices that will leave you feeling satisfied. Plus, it's a one-pan meal, which makes cleanup a breeze!
Finding delicious and satisfying meals that are quick and easy can be a challenge, but this Vegan Spicy Sausage Rice recipe ticks all the boxes. It's a flavor-packed meal that's sure to satisfy and takes less than 40 minutes to make (including prep).
This dish isn't overly spicy at all and it's very easy to adjust if you have little ones at home. You can make it mild or omit the heat altogether. Or you can turn up the heat if you wish.
I was inspired to make this tasty dish after stumbling upon Gordon Ramsay's Spicy Sausage Rice recipe on YouTube and I just had to veganize it! Most of Gordon's recipes aren't vegan-friendly, so it's always a fun challenge to put a vegan twist on them as I did with this grilled polenta, this vegan bolognese sauce, and vegan shepherd's pie.
- Red Onion - you can also use yellow onion or shallots.
- Red Bell Pepper - a yellow or orange pepper will work nicely too.
- Garlic - I recommend chopping instead of crushing it because it will be cooking in the pan for a longer period of time before the liquid is added, and this will help to avoid burning it.
- Vegan Italian Sausages - I used Field Roast Italian Sausages because they add such a wonderful flavor to the rice, but you can use any brand that you like. If you can't find whole sausages, you can use a crumbled variety.
- Seasoning - I used smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes for smoky, mildly spicy, and classic Italian-style flavors. Instead of Italian seasoning, you can use a ½ teaspoon each of oregano and thyme. If you don't have smoked paprika, you can use chili powder. Instead of red pepper flakes, you can use ¼-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Long Grain Rice - I used jasmine rice, but basmati is also a good option or your favorite long-grain rice.
- White Wine - this deglazes the pan and adds an extra layer of flavor, but it's optional and you can omit it without a replacement.
- Vegetable Broth - I recommend using low-sodium for this recipe because the sausages have a good amount of sodium and each brand varies.
- Parsley - this also goes well with basil or chives.
How to make Spicy Sausage Rice in one pan
This will come together on the stove in less than 25 minutes. Here's how to do it:
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat then add the onion and pepper and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Move the onions and peppers to the sides, leaving a well in the middle, and add remaining oil. Now add the sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Stir in the rice to combine and toast for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the seasonings and sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant then pour in the white wine and cook until it’s reduced, about 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the broth, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Place the lid on and cook for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Top with fresh-cut parsley, then serve
This spicy sausage rice dish is very filling on its own, but it also pairs well with a variety of side dishes that can complement its flavors and textures. Here are some suggestions:
- Salad: A light and fresh salad with a lemon vinaigrette or this vegan caesar salad pairs nicely.
- Roasted or Grilled Vegetables: such as sweet potatoes, asparagus, carrots, Brussels sprouts, zucchini, and eggplant will add some smoky depth of flavor to the dish.
- Bread: a loaf of rustic artisan bread is always a great pairing or you can go all out and serve it with vegan cornbread.
- Extra Flavor: serve this rice with a lemon wedge, hot sauce, and a dollop of vegan sour cream. It adds extra heat, even more flavor, and a pop of brightness.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and sharing your feedback in the comment section below. It would really make my day!
⭐️ Subscribe to the Vegan Huggs Newsletter and receive weekly recipes straight to your inbox! You'll also receive my FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes.
Vegan Spicy Sausage Rice Skillet
- 2 tablespoons oil , divided
- 1 medium red onion , sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper , sliced
- 5 cloves garlic , chopped
- 2 Field Roast Italian Sausages , crumbled (see note)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , more/less if preferred
- 1 ½ cups jasmine rice
- ½ white wine (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- ½ teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- ½ chopped parsley + more for serving
- 12-14-inch Skillet
- Heat 1 ½ tablespoons of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, add in the onion and pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30-60 seconds until fragrant.
- Move the onions and peppers to the sides, leaving a well in the middle, and add 1⁄2 tablespoon of oil. Now add the crumbled sausage and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Stir in the rice to combine and toast for 30-60 seconds. Now add the paprika, Italian seasoning, and chili flakes. Sauté for 10-20 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the white wine and cook until it’s fully reduced, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Place the lid on and cook for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Refrain from stirring or opening the lid once the rice is simmering so the rice can cook properly.
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Top with fresh-cut parsley, then serve