This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice ~ sweet, savory and spicy! So easy to make and takes 30 minutes on the stove.
Some of you may recognize this Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice recipe already. I originally published it in 2016 and it's been a popular recipe on my site ever since.
Well, I've made some small changes to the recipe over the years, and I think it's time to share them. Along with fresh new photos, too!
Here are the changes I made to amp things up:
I wanted to make this more into a meal while still keeping the recipe simple. So, to make it more filling, I added frozen peas and roasted cashews. It adds extra protein and a variety of texture too.
To amp up the savory flavor, I added Curry Powder and increased the amount of Tamari. If you thought this meal was addictive before, wait until you try it now. Curry powder for the win!
I also amped up the ginger amount and added fresh-cut cilantro to the finished dish. It added a little more brightness and zest to the flavor profile. It's mouth-watering good!
I'm very happy with these subtle changes, and I hope you'll love them too!
How to Make Pineapple Fried Rice
It's so easy! Here's what you'll need to do:
- STEP 1: Sauté the onions in oil until softened and slightly browned.
- STEP 2: Add carrots, crushed red pepper, ginger, and garlic. Sauté until carrots are tender.
TIP: if food starts to stick to the pan, you can splash in a little vegetable broth to deglaze.
- STEP 3: Add pineapple chunks and sauté until slightly browned.
- STEP 4: Now add the rice, thawed peas, and green onion.
- STEP 5: Pour the tamari and curry powder mixture over the rice. Combine well and cook for 3-5 minutes until heated throughout.
- STEP 6: Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- STEP 7: Serve and top with green onions, fresh-cut cilantro, and roasted cashews. You can also add Sriracha for an extra kick!
What's the best rice to use for Pineapple Fried Rice?
I like to use medium-long grain rice, but most will work fine. I'll just use whatever I have available and this time I used Mahatma White Rice and it worked perfectly!
This dish works best with cold, day-old rice because it’s drier than freshly cooked and it will keep a firmer texture. You can cook it the night before and refrigerate overnight (or at least 6-8 hours). It will still be tasty if you haven't chilled the rice, but the texture will be a lot softer than typical fried rice.
I found some great tips on prepping and storing rice in this article HERE.
So easy, right? Enjoy!!
Interested in more 30-minute meals? Here are my faves:
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice (Gluten-Free)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or preferred cooking oil)
- 1 small red onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger , grated
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup carrots , peeled & diced (or matchstick)
- 1 ½ cups pineapple chunks , fresh or canned
- 3 cups cooked rice , chilled for 6-8 hours if possible
- ½ cup green onion , sliced + more for topping
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free tamari , low sodium (sub soy sauce)
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ cup frozen peas , thawed
- ½ cup roasted cashews
- ¼ cup cilantro , chopped
- Whisk the tamari and curry powder together. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pan or wok over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Now add the garlic, ginger, red chili pepper flakes and carrots. Sauté 7-9 minutes or until carrots are tender. (* if veggies start to stick, you can add a splash of vegetable broth to deglaze)
- Add the pineapple chunks and sauté until slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes
- Add tamari, rice, peas and green onions. Stir frequently. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Cook about 4-5 minutes, until all ingredients are combined and heated through.
- Remove from heat and serve with optional toppings. Enjoy!