Dip into greatness with this Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus! It’s filled with robust, spicy & smoky-sweet flavors. You’ll be addicted to this healthy snack in no time!
I’m a serial snacker, so I try to keep it healthy as possible when I’m munching away. I can’t say I’m always successful, but if I prep a few healthy snacks for the week, I stay on track.
I’ll usually prep on Sundays and I’ll make a few batches of Air-Fried Chickpeas, my favorite No-Bake Granola Bars and lately, instead of regular hummus, I’ve been making my Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus.
It’s kind of an on-going joke that vegans love hummus, and maybe it’s true, but honestly, I’ve always been a big fan, even in my non-vegan days. What’s not to love? It’s so flavorful, rich, hearty and versatile. Plus, you can take it with you everywhere!
WHAT DO I NEED FOR ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS?
The ingredients are very similar to the plain hummus, it just has the addition of roasted bell peppers and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. You can use jarred roasted peppers or roast them yourself. It’s actually pretty easy to do, and you can make extra for future recipes because they freeze really well.
If you’d like to try your hand at it, I have easy-to-follow instructions posted with my Roasted Red Pepper Pasta recipe. You’ll need one small red bell pepper in place of 1/2 cup jarred. Easy peasy!
The chipotle pepper is definitely optional, but you may want to give it a try at least once. It adds a wonderful smoky & robust flavor that’s completely addictive. I only add one pepper so it doesn’t overpower the flavor of the roasted peppers.
THE REMAINING INGREDIENTS:
Pretty simple, right?
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS
STEP 1 – It’s so simple, just add all the ingredients to a food processor and process on high until you’ve reached desired consistency (It should have some texture with a thick paste-like consistency). Scrape down sides as needed.
STEP 2 – Now while the processor is running, add the olive oil and blend until combined. This will smooth it out slightly. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. I usually add a pinch more salt and lemon juice.
Paprika (smoked or regular)
Roasted pepper strips
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH HUMMUS?
You can make a huge platter with veggies, olives, vegan cheese, crackers, pita bread, dried fruit, nuts, fresh herbs and more. It can also be used as a spread, topping, sauce thickener, and flavor enhancer. The sky’s the limit!
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas , rinsed (*reserve 2 tablespoons of liquid from can)
- 6 oz (about 1/2 cup) jarred roasted bell peppers , drained well & patted dry
- 1 large chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini , unsalted (more if preferred)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- 1-2 small cloves garlic , peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil , extra virgin
* Optional Garnish Ideas
- Paprika , smoked or regular
- Fresh-cut parsley
- Pine nuts
- Strips of roasted pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor. Process on high until you've reached desired consistency (It should have some texture with a thick paste-like consistency). Scrape down sides as needed.
- Now while the processor is running, add olive oil and blend until combined. This will smooth it out slightly. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed (I usually add a pinch more salt and lemon juice).
- *Optional: to make it a bit creamier, you can add the reserved liquid while the processor is running. Pour 1 tablespoon first and determine if you'll need the second. For a thinner consistency, you can add a few teaspoons of water.
- Serve in a small bowl or plate and top with a small swirl of olive oil, a sprinkle of paprika, fresh-cut parsley, A few strips of roasted pepper, pine nuts, and cracked pepper. Enjoy!