This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Cucumber and Tomato Salad is a summertime favorite. It's loaded with refreshing veggies, protein-rich chickpeas, and tossed with a light, lemony dressing. You'll want to make it all summer long for barbecues, picnics, potlucks, and more!
If you're having an outdoor party this summer, you'll want to put this Cucumber and Tomato Salad on the table. It pairs nicely with grilled food, sandwiches, pasta dishes, and so much more.
Plus, it's light, refreshing, and SO cooling. Your guests will love it!
However, you don't need a special occasion to whip this healthy salad up. It's also perfect for lunches or a light dinner when you don't feel like turning on the stove.
Need another good reason to make this? The ingredients are simple and the salad comes together easily.
What do I need?
(FULL AMOUNTS IN RECIPE CARD BELOW)
To make the dressing, you'll need olive oil, lemon, red wine vinegar, agave nectar, vegan parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
For the remaining ingredients, you'll need English cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and chickpeas.
How to make a healthy Tomato and Cucumber Salad
It's really easy to make this healthy and refreshing summer salad! Check it out...
STEP 1: First, you'll need to chop and slice the veggies which only takes a few minutes. Then toss them together in a large bowl along with the chickpeas.
STEP 2: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, agave, Italian seasoning, vegan parmesan, salt, and pepper.
STEP 3: Pour the dressing into the large bowl and gently toss to combine. Taste for seasoning.
STEP 4: Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes to marry the flavors. Toss at the midway mark. Remove from the fridge and toss again. Taste for seasoning again and add more if needed.
1 - It's best to start conservatively with the dressing ingredients so it's easier to adjust to your taste. I usually add another squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt after the salad has marinated.
2 - Some lemons can be really tangy and overpower the other flavors. If the salad is too tangy, you can add a splash of olive oil and agave to balance it out. A splash of water can help too.
3 - It's important to let the salad sit for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to marry together. It'll be worth it!
This cucumber and tomato salad recipe is perfectly delicious just as it is, but feel free to change things up. It's very versatile! Here are some add-in ideas:
- Crushed red pepper
- Fresh dill, basil, or parsley
- Vegan feta cheese
- Pine nuts
- Bell pepper
- Roasted corn
How to serve
You can enjoy this Cherry and Tomato salad on its own because it's fairly filling with chickpeas and you'll get a nice dose of protein, too. However, it makes the perfect side dish for most meals. Here are a few ideas:
How long will it last?
It'll stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container. After that, the tomatoes tend to get mushy.
More summer favorites to enjoy:
- Vegan Cole Slaw
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Vegan Pasta Salad
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Vegan Mediterranean Orzo Salad
I love to hear from you
If you make this Cucumber and Tomato Salad recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 medium English cucumbers , cut into half moons or triangles
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced into half moons
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas , rinsed and drained
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh-squeezed. More to taste.
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or preferred sweetener
- 1.5 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegan parmesan , *optional (sub nutritional yeast)
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh-cracked pepper , to taste
- Large bowl
- Small Bowl
- In a large bowl, add the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and chickpeas. Gently toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, agave, Italian seasoning, vegan parmesan, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine well.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl and gently toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Cover and chill for 30-60 minutes to marry the flavors. Toss at the midway mark. Remove from the fridge and toss again. Taste for seasoning again and add more if needed.
Was very good. I added avacado to my dish and ate for lunch.
Thanks Donna! Glad you like it. 🙂
Sandy Lynn Stevens
Easy and delicious
Support @ Vegan Huggs
Hi Sandy! We are so happy that you loved the recipe, thanks for trying it out! 🙂
Made this today for lunch. So good! Love the flavors 🙂
I'm so glad you liked it. Thank you for giving it a try. 🙂
great fresh salad easy to make and prep in advance. I added avocado and might add seitan chicken cubes (from your seitan tenders recipe) next time. thanks!
Hi Emily, I'm so glad you liked it. Yum! It sounds perfect with seitan. I must try it! 🙂
This was a super easy salad to pull together for a barbecue and it was a hit. I found it delicious and refreshing (your word, Melissa) is truly correct. Thanks for the great recipe and supporting us on our plant-based journeys.
I'm so glad it was a hit! Thank you for giving it a try. 🙂
This is wonderful, ill be making this a lot.
SO glad you liked it. Thank you so much! 🙂