This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Milk is rich, creamy and nutritious. It’s reminiscent of Nutella milk but much healthier.
I absolutely love making homemade nut milk, because it’s so easy to prepare and worlds healthier than store-bought varieties. I make almond & cashew milk a lot, but every once in a while, I break out the hazelnuts and I make Chocolate Hazelnut Milk. It’s chocolate-y, subtly sweet and decadent. It’s seriously like liquid Nutella, but without all the junk.
This dreamy delight is so easy and takes about 10 minutes to make. However, there is some waiting time involved while the hazelnuts are soaking their way to goodness. It’s not fun to wait, but I promise the results will be so worth it.
The soak time takes about 16-24 hours. I feel like the longer they soak, the smoother the milk is. Also, it will unlock enzymes & nutrients to make the nuts more digestible & super healthy.
Hazelnuts are a great source of protein, heart-healthy fats, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, vitamin B, vitamin E, zinc, copper, iron, manganese, and selenium. This is a completely raw recipe, so you will get all that nutrition in one serving.
For the chocolate flavor, I used raw cacao powder, which is a great source of iron, magnesium, zinc, omega-6 and it’s loaded with antioxidants. For the sweetness, I used medjool dates, which also adds a rich texture and subtle hint of caramel-like flavor. They are truly nature’s candy. Besides their deliciousness, dates are rich in fiber, iron, potassium, calcium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Wow, this chocolate hazelnut milk REALLY does a body good!
You won’t need anything fancy to make this heavenly treat…you’ll just need a good blender, a nut milk bag or a fine mesh strainer, and some patience.
This Chocolate Hazelnut Milk goes great with cookies or enjoyed by itself. You can also use it for smoothies, ice cream, desserts or for delicious coffee creamer. Hazelnut and coffee are what dreams are made of, so go for it.
If you’d like something a little more toasty for the fall atmosphere, just heat this creamy milk up, put on your fuzzy socks and enjoy the goodness. Don’t forget the vegan whipped cream!
LOVE CHOCOLATE? HERE ARE MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Chocolate Hazelnut Milk
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts , soaked in water for 16-24 hours *see note
- 4 cups filtered water
- 6-8 medjool dates , pitted (or more depending on desired sweetness) *see note
- 2 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Drain and rinse hazelnuts (discard water).
- Add filtered water and hazelnuts to a blender and pulverize for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour mixture in a nut milk bag over a big bowl. Squeeze firmly until most of the liquid is released.
- Rinse blender out and pour strained milk back in the blender. Add the cacao powder, vanilla extract, salt, dates and cinnamon. Blend until creamy and smooth and date particles aren't floating around. Taste for sweetness and adjust as needed.
- You can enjoy it right away, or cover and place in the fridge. It will last about 3-4 day
Wood Floordrop by Ink & Elm