This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan. They are fluffy, moist, delicious and will provide a healthy dose of protein & fiber, too.
A couple of months ago, I shared a delicious, gluten-free Blueberry Jam Muffin recipe. They are much healthier than most muffins out there and they taste incredible! A lot of gluten-free recipes, tend to be a little dry and some have a weird texture. But not these babies, they are fluffy and moist! I was so happy with the results, that I’ve been making all sorts of muffins now. It’s muffin madness over here! Of course, I had to make a GF chocolate chip version so I made these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. Who wouldn’t want some chocolate to brighten up their day? Oh, and I had to add banana…chocolate and banana just go together. It’s bananas!
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are the cats meow! Or is it pajamas? I don’t know, but they are seriously heavenly! They are soft, sweet and chocolatey! This recipe is simple to make and you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry right now. Excited yet? The best thing is, they are much healthier than most muffin recipes out there, so you don’t have to feel guilty after eating one. Of course everything sweet, should be eaten in moderation, so don’t eat the whole batch. 😉
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins make the perfect snack, dessert or quick breakfast. Yep, I had one for breakfast with a cup of chamomile tea. Ok, I lied…it was chocolate milk! I’m a big kid…what can I say! Well, I hope you enjoy this recipe, as much as I do.
I’ll be back soon xo
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 chia eggs (2 tablespoons chia seed + 6 tablespoons filtered water) * See Note
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or any plant-based milk) + 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (sub granulated or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup ripened banana , mashed (about 2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
- Place 12 muffin liners in a standard muffin pan. Or, you can lightly grease each slot.
- Prepare chia eggs in a small bowl and set aside. About 10 minutes, until it forms a gel-like texture.
- In a separate small bowl, add the almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside, about 10 minutes. This creates a vegan buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, add baking soda, coconut sugar, sea salt, rolled oats, almond meal and flour. (All dry ingredients) Combine well.
- In a large bowl, mash banana and then add the melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup, chia eggs and buttermilk mixture. Whisk to combine well.
- Now add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients. Fold batter gently until just combined. Don't over work it. Gently fold in chocolate chips
- Fill each muffin liner about 3/4 full and bake the muffins until they are slightly golden on top, about 18-22 minutes. Insert toothpick into middle of muffin, if it’s mostly clean, then they're ready. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes. To avoid the liner sticking to the muffin, let them completely cool before enjoying.
If you make these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, or one of my other recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me, Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs.