This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
These Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups are rich, chocolatey & nut-buttery good. They are refined sugar-free and gluten-free.
Peanut Butter Cups were one of my favorite chocolate treats growing up. I wasn’t allowed to have them often (thank goodness), but my mom bought them on occasion. I would savor every peanut buttery bite. Well now I can still enjoy my old-time favorite, but in a healthier and cruelty-free way with these Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.
Most of us think of the name Reese’s when someone mentions peanut butter cups. They date back to 1928 and were invented by H.B Reese. It was a genius creation to blend these two ingredients together in a heavenly little treat. However, have you ever seen the ingredients in them? Ugh, it’s awful! They, of course, contain unhealthy fat, animal ingredients, and refined everything, but two of the ingredients include PGPR & TBHQ. One google search on them and you’ll never go near a Reese’s again (or anything that contains them). How can these ingredients be labeled as “safe”? This makes me really mad and it shouldn’t be allowed in our food. Children are ingesting this crap and it’s just wrong.
O.k, let’s move on to the good stuff…
These homemade little bites are the polar opposite of Reese’s. They’re free of refined sugars, dairy, gluten or anything artificial. The ingredients are quite simple and you probably have them in your pantry now, waiting to come out. You’ll just need the superstars of the bunch, which is the natural peanut butter and chocolate (raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder). Now, we’re talking! Next up, is the virgin coconut oil, pure maple syrup, vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt. That’s it! No chemical needed! Just pure goodness from nature!
Along with being guilt-free, you’ll also get some superfood nutrition for your body. The raw cacao is a great source of iron, magnesium, zinc, omega 6 and it’s loaded with antioxidants. Also, you’ll get a nice dose of heart-healthy fat from the coconut oil, too. Now, I’m not saying to eat a whole batch of these peanut butter cups in one sitting, but you can enjoy a serving-size without feeling guilty. Even once a day won’t hurt. Sounds wonderful, right?
These lovelies are stored in the freezer, and they last for quite a while. The gremlins in my home eat them too fast, so I never get to save them. Make extra, if you have gremlins in your home, too. When you are ready to have one, just let it sit for 2-3 minutes before enjoying. They soften fast.
So, are you ready to try this melt-in-your-mouth, chocolatey, nut-buttery goodness?
Lets’ do this…
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Place coconut oil, cacao powder, salt & maple syrup in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently until ingredients are combined & melted. Be careful not to burn. Then add the vanilla and mix well. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
For Standard Size:
- Place standard-sized muffin liners on a small baking sheet, or in a muffin tray. Fill bottom of muffin liners with 2 teaspoons chocolate sauce. Pop in freezer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and place 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut butter in center of chocolate. Flatten & spread with a spoon, avoiding the edges of the liner (if possible). Pour 1 tablespoon of chocolate on top of peanut butter, covering it completely. Pop back in freezer for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
For Mini Size:
- Place mini muffin liners on a small baking sheet, or tray. Fill bottom of muffin liners with 1 teaspoon chocolate sauce. Pop in freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and place 1/2 - 1 teaspoon peanut butter in center of chocolate. Flatten & spread with a spoon, avoiding the edges of the liner. (if possible) Pour 1 1/2 teaspoons of chocolate on top of peanut butter, covering it completely. Pop back in freezer for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
If you make these Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me, Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs.
*Pin for later 🙂
Vegan Huggs is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. There will be no additional charge to you, if you purchase an item through an affiliate link. I will only link items that I use myself.