This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This White Bean Kale Soup with Vegan Sausage is hearty, comforting and so perfect for those chilly days. It's easy to make and it'll be on your table in just 30 minutes!
If you're looking for a warming meal to add to your family dinner rotation, you may want to give this White Bean Kale Soup a try.
It's loaded with veggies, protein-rich beans, and savory vegan sausage. It's filling and oh-so-good! Your family will love it!
️🌟 This is a quick overview with step-by-step photos. For the complete ingredient amounts and instructions, scroll down to the recipe card below.
- Vegan Italian Sausage - I prefer the Field Roast brand for this recipe, but any vegan variety will work.
- Yellow Onion - you can also use red/white onion, leeks, or shallots.
- Carrots - if you don't have them, you can try red or green bell pepper.
- Celery - if you don't like/have it, you can use leeks. It will add a different flavor, but it's mild.
- Garlic - Fresh is best, but you can also use 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic.
- Italian Seasoning - if you don't have it you can use a blend of dried oregano, thyme, basil, and rosemary.
- Crushed Red Pepper - Adds a touch of heat, but it's optional.
- Tomato Paste - adds more depth to the soup. I would try not to skip this.
- Cannellini Beans - any type of beans will work for this soup, such as navy beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, and more. Choose your favorite!
- Vegetable Broth - I prefer low sodium, but regukar will work too. Just adjust the added salt it needed (I was out the day I shot the photos, so I used regular).
- Kale - I used dinosaur kale, but you can also use escarole, collard greens, bok choy, spinach, or cabbage.
How to make White Bean Kale Soup
It takes just 4 easy steps to make this delicious soup recipe. Here's how to do it:
- Brown sausage in oil over medium heat, then set aside on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Place the pot back on the stove. Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot, and celery. Sauté until veggies have softened, then add in the garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper. Saute until fragrant.
- Add the beans, sausage, broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Gently simmer. for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the kale and simmer until just wilted. Remove from heat, taste for seasoning, and add more if needed.
Tips and Tricks
This White Bean Kale Soup recipe is pretty fool-proof but here are a few extra tips to ensure success:
- Depending on the vegan sausage you choose, you may need more/less salt in the recipe.
- Choose a flavorful broth for optimal taste.
- For extra depth of flavor, you can deglaze the pan with a ½ cup of dry white wine. When the veggies are done cooking, pour it in and let it reduce before proceeding with the broth and other ingredients.
Reheating + Storing Tips
This white bean kale soup makes great leftovers and the flavors will develop even more after it sits. Here's how to reheat and store it:
Reheating - warm on the stove over medium heat or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Add more broth to thin if needed.
Storing - leftovers will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze it for 2-3 months in a freezer-safe container. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
More Soup Recipes to Try
Looking for more hearty soup recipes to try? Here are a few reader favorites:
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and sharing your feedback in the comment section below. It would really make my day! You can also share your remake with me on Instagram. Just tag #veganhuggs and @veganhuggs so I don’t miss it!
⭐️ Subscribe to the Vegan Huggs Newsletter and receive weekly recipes straight to your inbox! You'll also receive my FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes.
White Bean Kale Soup with Vegan Sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 2 vegan Italian sausage links , sliced or chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 3 medium carrots , sliced into rounds
- 3 ribs celery , sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper *optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 30 ounces cannellini beans , rinsed & drained (2 -15-ounce cans or 3 cups)
- 8 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups dinosaur kale , chopped (measured chopped)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper , to taste
To Serve (optional)
- Lemon Wedges
- Crusty Bread
- Heat 1.5 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once shimmering, add the sausage and cook until lightly golden brown. About 2-4 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Place the pot back over medium heat and add the remaining oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrot, and celery, then sauté until veggies have softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper. Saute for 30-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the beans, cooked sausage, broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat to bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Now add the kale and simmer for 2-3 minutes until just wilted. Remove from heat, taste for seasoning, and add more if needed. Remove bay leaf. Serve with crusty bread and a lemon wedge. Enjoy!
- Beans - if you don't have cannellini, you can also use navy beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, or any type you prefer.
- Sausage - I used Field Roast Italian Sausage, but you can use any variety that you like. You'll need about 1.5 cups (measured chopped).
- Flavor Amp-Up Ideas ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, or ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper for more heat.
- Topping Ideas - a sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan Cheese, a dollop of Vegan Sour Cream, chopped parsley, sliced green onion, or chives.