This hearty bowl of Hungarian Red Lentil Soup will be on your table in no time. It’s so easy to make and calls for simple, easy-to-find ingredients. It’s gluten-free and oil-free too!
This Hungarian Red Lentil Soup Recipe is directly from the pages of The Vegan 8 cookbook by Brandi Doming. It’s a new family favorite!
If you haven’t heard of Brandi’s blog, The Vegan 8, you’re in for a real treat. She has mastered the art of keeping recipes simple, yet satisfying and full of flavor.
She uses no more than 8 ingredients for her recipes (not including water, salt & pepper) and they’re easy-to-find. Her recipes are all dairy-free and are mostly oil-free, gluten-free and nut-free too.
Brandi’s recipes make it easy to eat healthy even with a busy lifestyle. Plus, they are designed for the whole family to enjoy. You’ll have a lot of happy campers at the table.
Inside you’ll find 100 easy-to-make recipes that are simple and delicious. Each recipe accompanies a beautiful, drool-worthy photo too. It’s a total coffee table book!
The cookbook is broken down into 9 scrumptious categories: Breakfast, Snacks & Appetizers, Lunches, Sauces & Dressings, Easy Entrées, Soups & Stews, Sides & Dips, and Staples.
You’ll find mouth-watering recipes like Pumpkin Pie Crepes, Easy One-Pan Red Curry, Teriyaki Patties, BBQ Bean Ball Sub, Broccoli Cheese Soup, Creamy Cajun Lemon Sauce, Skillet Mexican Corn, Spinach Artichoke Dip, Showstopper Chocolate Cake, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Candy Bites, and this Hungarian Red Lentil Soup.
I’ve already made a handful of Brandi’s recipes and I didn’t need to change a thing. The flavors and textures were all on point. I’m so excited to make some more.
If you’d like to change things up in the kitchen, you should add The Vegan 8: 100 Simple, Delicious Recipes Made with 8 Ingredients or Less to your cookbook collection. You won’t regret it!
How to make Hungarian Red Lentil Soup
- STEP 1: Simmer the onions, garlic, and carrots until slightly tender (about 8 minutes)
- STEP 2: Add the red lentils, Hungarian sweet paprika, tomato paste, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. and simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
- STEP 3: Add the lite coconut milk. Cook on medium-low for 5-10 minutes until soup slightly thickens and lentils are tender, but still firm.
- STEP 4: ENJOY!!
Looking for more cozy soup recipes? Here are my faves:
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Hungarian Red Lentil Soup Recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Hungarian Red Lentil Soup
- 1 cup yellow onion , diced
- 3 carrots , cut into 1⁄4-inch-thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup dry red lentils , rinsed well with cold water
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup canned “lite” coconut milk , well shaken
- 3 1/2 cups water , divided
- Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and 1 cup (240g) water to a medium pot over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 8 minutes, stirring a couple of times during, or until the veggies are tender but not overly so.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add the lentils, 2 1⁄2 cups (600g) water, tomato paste, paprika, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir well, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the milk, and increase the heat to medium-low; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender yet still firm, and the soup thickens some. Stir often, and do not overcook, as you don’t want the lentils to become mushy. Taste and add more salt, if desired. Serve immediately.