This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Pepperoni Recipe – perfect for sandwiches, a party platter or your favorite pizza! It’s loaded with peppery, spicy & smoky-sweet flavors that’ll keep you coming back for more.
If you’ve been looking for the perfect pepperoni for your Vegan Pizza, you can end the hunt! You’re going to love this Vegan Pepperoni Recipe!
I’ve been buying Field Roast Sausages for years and I use them for a variety of recipes. I usually add them alongside my Easy Tofu Scramble, Savory Pancakes or Roasted Red Pepper Pasta. They are great in sandwiches too!
They have clean ingredients and taste delicious! Unfortunately, they don’t have Vegan Pepperoni yet, and I wasn’t happy with the taste of other brands. So, I decided to try my hand at it.
I made his recipe and the pepperoni texture came out perfect, I just made flavor adjustments to suit my personal taste. You guys have to try this!
How Do I make Vegan Pepperoni?
It’s really easy actually! Take a look: (full printable recipe below)
Whisk all the dry ingredients together to combine well.
In a separate bowl whisk all the wet ingredients to combine well.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine. It will start to thicken up and form a dough. Using your hands, incorporate everything well by kneading for 1-2 minutes.
NOTE: Preparing the dough is like a weird science experiment. It will become thick and rubbery and will seem inedible, but I promise, it will all be tasty in the end.
Split the dough in half and roll each piece into a sausage-shaped log. Wrap it tightly in parchment paper followed by aluminum foil. Make sure the foil is overlapped or it will open during cooking. Twist the ends tightly to seal.
* Note: The parchment paper is optional and you don’t need it to get the sausage shape. I use it to avoid aluminum exposure to the food.
Now steam them for about 45 minutes. Every so often, check to make sure the water hasn’t evaporated during steaming. Now remove from wrapping and let it cool before chilling it for at least an hour. This will help it firm up and make it easy to slice.
How should I use Vegan Pepperoni?
- As a Pizza Topping (along with my Vegan Mozzarella Cheese)
- In a sandwich (it’s great for school lunches)
- For a party cheeseboard
- Top it on a salad for savory flavor
- Make healthier lunchables for the kiddos with crackers and Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Crumble it on baked potatoes or pasta
- And much more!
* Tip: if you top it on pizza, add a little spritz of oil before cooking. This will keep it from getting dry.
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Vegan Pepperoni Recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Pepperoni Recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds , lightly crushed
- 1.5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper , more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients to combine well.
- In a small bowl whisk all the wet ingredients to combine well. Now pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir to combine. It will start to thicken and form a dough. Using your hands, incorporate everything well by kneading for 1-2 minutes. (*the dough will be thick & rubbery). Move the dough around in the bowl to sweep up the mixture on the bottom (you don't have to get everything).
- Split the dough in half and roll each piece into a sausage-shaped log (it doesn't have to be perfect). Now wrap tightly in parchment paper followed by aluminum foil. Make sure the foil is overlapped or it will open during cooking. Twist the ends tightly to seal.
- Place about 1 " of water into a large pot that will fit your steamer basket. Place your basket on the bottom and cover pot with a lid. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn heat to med-low to maintain a low boil and place pepperoni log into basket. Cover and steam for 45 minutes. *Keep an eye on the water so it doesn't fully evaporate. Add more hot water if needed.
- Remove from wrapping and let it cool before chilling it for at least an hour. This will help it firm up and make it easy to slice. Keep in airtight container in the fridge for 5-6 days.