This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Vegan Pasta Caprese takes 30 minutes to make and has a fresh taste of summer in every bite.
My four favorite ingredients: tomato, basil, pasta and vegan mozzarella… all together in one delicious bowl. It’s pure heaven! You just can’t go wrong with this Pasta Caprese recipe. It’s packed with zesty fresh flavors that will make your summertime complete.
It’s not a secret that I’m a big
carb pasta lover. It’s the epitome of comfort food for me. I love super creamy & cheesy pasta dishes like this Mac n Cheese and this Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo, but for warm weather, I love this fresh-tasting Vegan Pasta Caprese dish.
Typically this dish calls for a good amount of olive oil, so I wanted to lighten it up a bit. I’ve seen some recipes online that use 1/2 cup of oil, but I don’t think it’s needed. I’m not anti-oil, but less is more sometimes. To moisten things up, I used only 2 tablespoons of olive oil and low-sodium vegetable broth. The broth also adds more savory flavor to this already flavorful meal. It’s a win-win!
- Chop basil
- Cut tomatoes
- Crush garlic
*note: if you make the vegan mozzarella, it will take longer. I usually have it in my fridge all summer long because it goes with everything. Feel free to use store-bought vegan mozzarella to make life even easier. I’ve also made this dish without any cheese and it was still insanely delicious!
HOW TO MAKE PASTA CAPRESE
- Boil & drain pasta
- Sauté tomatoes in garlic
- Simmer with broth
- Toss in the pasta and fresh basil
- Add vegan mozzarella and serve
That’s it! It’s an easy-peasy summer dish that is worth making tonight!
MORE VEGAN PASTA RECIPE TO ENJOY:
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Pasta Caprese recipe, I’d love to get your feedback. You can leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Pasta Caprese
- 12 ounces spaghetti (GF if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , extra virgin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes , halved (about 3.5-4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste (or preferred salt)
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable broth , low sodium (*see note)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh
- 1 cup basil , chopped (tight packed)
- 8 ounces homemade vegan mozzarella , cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or store-bought) *see note
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan , for topping (optional)
- Place spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until al dente according to package directions (about 10-12 minutes). Drain and drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- While the pasta is boiling, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until tomatoes soften and release their liquid.
- Add vegetable broth and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes to incorporate flavors. Remove from heat.
- Add drained pasta and fresh basil. Toss to coat. Taste for seasoning and add more as needed. If things seem a bit dry, drizzle a little olive oil on top or add a few tablespoons of vegetable broth. Add vegan mozzarella and serve immediately. Serve with vegan parmesan on the side. Enjoy!