This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Vegan Pasta Caprese has a fresh taste of summer in every bite.
Tomato, basil, pasta, and vegan mozzarella — my four favorite ingredients all together in one bowl. It's pure heaven! You just can't go wrong with this Pasta Caprese recipe. It's packed with zesty fresh flavors that will make your summertime complete.
It's not a secret that I'm a big
carb pasta lover. It's the epitome of comfort food for me. I love super creamy & cheesy pasta dishes like this Mac n Cheese and this Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo, but for warm weather, I love this fresh-tasting Vegan Pasta Caprese dish.
Typically this dish calls for a good amount of olive oil, so I wanted to lighten it up a bit. I've seen some recipes online that use ½ cup of oil, but I don't think it's needed.
I'm not anti-oil, but less is more sometimes. To moisten things up, I used only 2 tablespoons of olive oil and low-sodium vegetable broth. The broth also adds more savory flavor to this already flavorful meal. It's a win-win!
- Chop basil
- Cut tomatoes
- Crush garlic
How to make Pasta Caprese
- Boil and drain pasta
- Sauté tomatoes in garlic
- Simmer with broth
- Toss in the pasta and fresh basil
- Add vegan mozzarella and serve
That's it! It's an easy-peasy summer dish that is worth making tonight!
More pasta recipes to enjoy
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Pasta Caprese recipe, I’d love to get your feedback. You can leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Pasta Caprese
- 12 ounces spaghetti (GF if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , extra virgin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste (or preferred salt)
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable broth , low sodium
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice , freshly squeezed
- ½ cup chopped basil
- 8 ounces homemade vegan mozzarella , cut into ½-inch pieces (or store-bought)
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan , for topping (optional)
- Place spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook until al dente according to package directions (about 10-12 minutes). Drain and drizzle with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- While the pasta is boiling, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté for 30-60 seconds until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until tomatoes soften and release their liquid.
- Add vegetable broth and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes to incorporate flavors. Remove from heat.
- Add drained pasta and fresh basil. Toss to coat. Taste for seasoning and add more as needed. If things seem a bit dry, drizzle a little olive oil on top or add a few tablespoons of vegetable broth. Add vegan mozzarella and serve immediately. Serve with vegan parmesan on the side. Enjoy!
- If you make the homemade vegan mozzarella, the prep time will be longer. I usually have it in my fridge all summer long because it goes with everything. Feel free to use store-bought vegan mozzarella to make life even easier. I've also made this dish without any cheese and it was still insanely delicious!
- You can use store-bought vegan mozzarella shreds. Just make sure you like the taste before adding it to the pasta because it can really change the flavor. I would use about 4 oz, instead of 8 oz.
- I made mini mozzarella balls by using a measuring spoon (teaspoon). I just scooped out pieces from the larger homemade mozzarella balls (I used about 2). This is not necessary, but it looks nice.
- Nutritional info includes my homemade mozzarella.