This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Smoky Tomato White Bean Soup – the perfect weeknight meal! Loaded with fire-roasted tomatoes, tender white beans, sautéed veggies, and warm seasonings - this soup is packed with flavor and done in no time!
Seriously, this is a recipe after my own heart - it's smoky, garlicky and totally satisfying! The flavor is out-of-this-world, yet the ingredients are short and simple. It's perfect for any time of year too.
This delicious recipe is straight from the pages of Vegan Comfort Cooking by Melanie McDonald and I get to share it with you today. If you like comforting and flavorful recipes, you may want to check it out.
Melanie is the creator of the well-known blog A Virtual Vegan. She shares comforting vegan recipes that are perfect for everyone. Her recipes are made to impress even the pickiest eater.
Inside, you'll find 75 mouth-watering recipes that are broken down into 5 categories:
- First, We Brunch
- Indulge Yourself
- The Munchies
- Sweet Talk
- Bits and Bobs
You'll find delicious recipes like Black Forest Breakfast Crepes, Drool-Worthy Cinnamon Donuts, Soul-Warming Stew and Dumplings, Berry Good Breakfast Cake, Pizza Party Pull-Apart Bread, Sinfully Sticky Toffee Pudding, Smashed Salt and Vinegar Potatoes, Life-Changing Vegan Butter, Roasted Garlic Alfredo and so much more!
Also, you'll want to make EVERYTHING after you see the photos. Each recipe has its own gorgeous photo and they are all mouth-watering!
You don't have to be a good cook to make these recipes either. Melanie's recipes are approachable and very detailed to make cooking a breeze!
AND, you won't find any crazy ingredients either. Most of them are pantry staples or can be found at your local grocery store.
I can tell that Melanie put her whole heart into creating this cookbook and she designed these recipes with family in mind. Not everyone is vegan, but everyone loves delicious food that is familiar to them and Melanie hit the nail on the head with this one. Her recipes will bring everyone to the table, vegans, and carnivores alike!
HOW TO MAKE TOMATO WHITE BEAN SOUP
(FULL INGREDIENT AMOUNT IN RECIPE CARD BELOW)
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil or water (for oil-free cooking) over medium heat. Sauté the onion and celery for about 10 minutes, until they are starting to go golden brown. If you are using water to sauté, you will need to add a little more water every few minutes to prevent the onion and celery from sticking.
Add the garlic, smoked paprika and cumin and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add all the other ingredients. Stir well to combine, allow to come to a simmer, and cook for another 20 minutes. Add a little water to adjust the consistency to your liking, check the seasoning, and adjust to taste; then serve. I like the soup chunky, but you can use an immersion blender right in the pan to make it smoother and creamier if you want to.
CAN I FREEZE TOMATO WHITE BEAN SOUP?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for 4-6 months. Just make sure to cool it first for 30-60 minutes, then pour it into an airtight container. To defrost, place the container in the fridge overnight or in the microwave using the defrosting setting.
Reheat on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave. You may need to add a few splashes of vegetable broth to thin it out.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH SOUP?
Well, this soup is pretty filling on its own, but it pairs nicely with crunchy artisan bread and vegan butter. It also goes well with salad or sandwiches too. I'm thinking a vegan grilled cheese sandwich for dipping. YUM!
WANT MORE EASY VEGAN SOUP RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT:
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- Mexican Black Bean Soup
- Easy Vegan Miso Soup
- And here are 30 more Vegan Soup Recipes to choose from!
I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this Tomato and White Bean Soup, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Smoky Tomato and White Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or water
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs , finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 27 oz chopped fire-roasted tomatoes , canned
- 2 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper , freshly ground
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar , or granulated white sugar
- 4½ cups white kidney , cannellini or lima beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil or water (for oil-free cooking) over medium heat. Sauté the onion and celery for about 10 minutes, until they are starting to go golden brown. If you are using water to sauté, you will need to add a little more water every few minutes to prevent the onion and celery from sticking.
- Add the garlic, smoked paprika and cumin and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add all the other ingredients. Stir well to combine, allow to come to a simmer and cook for another 20 minutes. Add a little water to adjust the consistency to your liking, check the seasoning and adjust to taste; then serve. I like the soup chunky, but you can use an immersion blender right in the pan to make it smoother and creamier, if you want to.
- This recipe has amazing flavor and I didn't have to add a thing. I did swap out the vegetable broth for a low-sodium variety because that's what I use for all of my recipes.