This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Whisk off to the tropics without even leaving your home! This Pina Colada Smoothie is reminiscent of that famous island cocktail but without the added booze or sugar. It's a perfect way to start your morning! It only requires 4 simple ingredients and it's creamy, cold, and refreshing!
Summer is almost over for most people, but it's still hot in my neck of the woods, so I'm keeping cool and hydrated with an array of delicious smoothies. They are great for my busy mornings and keep me going until lunch. This Pina Colada Smoothie is my latest obsession and reminds me of my favorite cocktail. It gives me a healthy buzz!
Don't get me wrong, I love a little rum in my drink, but I'll never get things done if I have it in the morning. So, if you've had a long day and you're craving a cocktail that's not filled with sugar, feel free to add a little extra fun!
What's in a Pina Colada Smoothie?
- Frozen Pineapple
- Coconut Milk
- Coconut Water
That's it! Just 4 simple and wholesome ingredients! You don't need to add any extra sugar because the fruit is sweet enough. Just make sure the banana is ripened well. If you want extra sweetness, feel free to add a few dates to the mix.
How to make it
- STEP 1 - Add coconut water, coconut milk, and banana to a high-speed blender.
- STEP 2 - Now add the frozen pineapple. Blend on high until creamy and smooth, using the tamper as needed.
Do I need a high-speed blender to make a smoothie?
It'll be much easier and quicker with a high-speed blender, but a regular blender will work if you don't have one. You may have to chop the frozen fruit smaller, use a touch more liquid, or let the fruit thaw for a minute. Always add the liquid and soft fruit first so the blades don't get stuck right away. Want more tips on how to make a smoothie in a regular blender? Here's an informative article by Blender Babes you may want to check out.
Can I use fresh fruit?
Yes, you can, but you'll need to add a handful of ice to make it cold and more liquid if needed. I prefer using some fruit frozen because it adds thickness and coldness without watering the flavors down. It makes it creamier too. I usually don't use all frozen fruit because that makes it too thick to drink and requires more liquid.
More smoothie recipes for you
I love to hear from you
If you make this Pina Colada Smoothie, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Pina Colada Smoothie
- 2 cups pineapple , frozen
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ cup coconut milk , full fat (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 large banana , ripened
- To a high-powered blender, add the coconut milk, coconut water, and banana first, then add the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until creamy and smooth, using the tamper as needed.
- The consistency should be thick, but if it's too thick, add a few splashes of milk. If it's too thin, add more frozen fruit. Pour into your favorite glass and serve. Enjoy!
- Garnish Ideas: coconut flakes, sliced strawberries, fresh mint, cherries, pineapple wedge, chopped pineapple.
- If you don't have coconut water, you can substitute it with more coconut milk.
- I use full-fat canned coconut milk to make it super creamy, but you can use any plant-based milk you prefer.
- If you want to use fresh pineapple, you will need to add a handful of ice to the blender. Add more liquid as needed.
- You can use a frozen banana, but you may need to add more liquid.
- If you want more sweetness, add 2-4 teaspoons of pure maple syrup 0r 1-2 medjool dates.