This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
These Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are moist, fluffy and flavorful. Also, they are rich in fiber & protein to start your day off right.
This post is dedicated to all the pancake lovin’ peeps out there. This is the first pancake recipe that I am posting and I want it to be noteworthy. I picked a favorite recipe of mine that will satisfy most taste buds and is perfect for summer mornings. These Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are light, flavorful, refreshing and sunny.
These babies are hearty, subtly sweet, fragrant & lemon-y and they will undoubtedly bring some sunshine into your morning. The best thing is these Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are gluten-free and vegan. You won’t be missing a thing though, because they are super moist and fluffy. Not your typical gluten-free hockey puck-pancakes. So, you can enjoy a flavorful and pillowy pancake, that is actually healthy for you. Take that IHOP!
Don’t get me wrong, I will definitely order some vegan pancakes while I’m dining out, but the unhealthier version is usually served. They are enjoyable to eat, but I usually leave feeling carbo-loaded and not quite satisfied. Who’s with me on this one? Well, when I’m home I make heartier, healthier and yummier pancakes (in my humble opinion). I want breakfast to be satisfying, yet nutritious and filling. A real breakfast of champions!
“So, what’s in these dreamy little pancakes that makes them so hearty and delicious”, you ask? For the heartiness, I use gluten-free oat flour, that I make in 20 seconds with GF rolled oats and my blender. I also add almond flour to give them a little more texture. The oats and almonds will also add a nice dose of protein and heart-healthy fiber. To make them moist & fluffy, I use flax-eggs and vegan buttermilk. For the subtle sweetness and lemon-y flavor, I use pure maple syrup, fresh lemon zest & juice. The poppy seeds add a delicate little crunch, that I love (feel free to omit, if you don’t like them). Then I add the usual suspects like baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, vanilla extract and cinnamon. There ya’ have it, a healthy & flavorful breakfast, that is sure to bring smiles to the table.
Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes (Vegan + GF)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax seed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk (or any plant based milk)
- Zest and juice of one large lemon
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour or rolled oats (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 1/2 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Coconut oil for cooking
- To prepare the 2 flax eggs, add 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed to 6 tablespoons of water. Let is sit for 10-15 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl or glass, add the almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside, about 10 minutes. This creates a vegan buttermilk.
- If using rolled oats, make oat flour by placing 1½ cup oats in a blender. Blend until finely ground.
- Place the buttermilk, flax eggs and additional ingredients, except the poppy seeds, in a blender and blend until smooth. Stir in poppy seeds and set aside.
- Heat a griddle or large pan over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. When pan is evenly heated, melt 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Scoop a 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle/pan to form pancake circles. (if batter is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk at a time, until it's pourable.)
- Cook the pancakes until you notice bubbles form on the top and the edges are formed, about 2-3 minutes. Now flip your pancake and cook the other side about 2-3 minutes, until light golden brown. Place finished pancake on paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all the batter is gone. Add a tiny bit of oil to the pan before placing fresh batter down.(about 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon of oil)
- Serve warm with maple syrup
If you make these Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes, or one of my other recipes, I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me, Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs.