This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Liven up your morning with this Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Bowl. The combination of creamy peanut butter, sweet bananas, and rich dark chocolate will send your taste buds into overdrive. It's super nutritious, too!
Say goodbye to your sad morning oats because quinoa is the new grain in town! (pssst...it's actually a seed) This Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is protein and nutrient-rich to keep you going all day long.
This may seem like a stereotypical vegan hippie recipe, but I promise, it's so much more. Yeah, sure, it's quinoa, but it's made with chocolate, peanut butter, non-dairy milk, and bananas. It's scrumptious!
Now, if you totally hate quinoa, you may want to skip this one and make my Vegan Breakfast Quesadillas instead. They are just as hearty and nutritious.
If you need more breakfast inspiration, you can check out my all-time favorite list of 30 Vegan Breakfast Recipes. You'll be sure to find something there. Eating vegan food doesn't have to be boring.
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl Ingredients
The ingredient list is short and simple. Here's what you'll need:
- Quinoa - This is the star of the show so you'll need this for sure, but any variety will work. You can also buy a pre-rinsed version to make things even easier.
- Non-Dairy Milk - Any unsweetened or sweetened variety will work such as coconut, rice, soy, oat, or almond.
- Banana - Choose a well-ripened one for great banana flavor and perfect sweetness.
- Peanut Butter - Salted or unsalted will work here and creamy or crunchy.
- Cocoa Powder - You can also use cacao powder.
- Maple Syrup - You can also use agave or any type of sweetener that you like.
- Water -
- Sea Salt - This brings all the flavors together beautifully!
For toppings, you can go simple or get crazy. You can add a peanut butter swirl, banana coins, chunks of dark chocolate, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, berries, nuts, seeds, granola, non-dairy milk, vegan butter, or jam. Have fun with it!
How to Make a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
It's so easy to make and it'll be on your table fast! Just add quinoa and a pinch of salt to a medium pot. Cover and bring to a low boil for 15-20 minutes. You want to cook the quinoa until it's fluffy and the liquid is absorbed.
Now, uncover and turn the heat to low and stir in the non-dairy milk, mashed banana, cocoa powder, and maple syrup. Warm for 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust flavor if needed.
Add your favorite toppings and additional milk if desired. Serve immediately.
Rinsing quinoa thoroughly before cooking is an important step. This will remove most of its natural coating, called saponin. This coating is naturally designed by the plant to ward off insects and other predators. It's not toxic to humans, but some studies claim that it can cause digestive issues. Also, the saponin coating gives the quinoa a bitter taste, so you'll be removing that issue as well.
Thoroughly rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer for a good 2 minutes, until the water runs clear then let it drain well.
It's a whole grain that is naturally gluten-free, high in fiber, protein-rich, low glycemic, mineral-rich, and full of antioxidant power. So, it's good for your brain, blood, muscles, skin, and overall well-being. Yay for quinoa!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and sharing your feedback in the comment section below. It would make my day!
⭐️ Subscribe to the Vegan Huggs Newsletter and receive weekly recipes straight to your inbox! You'll also receive my FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes.
Chunky Monkey Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- 1 Medium Pot
- 1 Mesh Strainer (for rinsing quinoa)
- In a medium pot, add the quinoa and salt to 2 cups of low-boiling water. Put lid on top. Cook until liquid is gone and quinoa is fluffy. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes to cook.
- Uncover and turn heat to low. Stir in non-dairy milk, peanut butter, mashed banana, cocoa powder, and maple syrup. Warm for 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust flavor if needed.
- Add favorite toppings and additional milk if desired. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Topping Ideas: peanut butter, banana coins, dark chocolate chunks, coconut flakes, berries, cacao nibs, nuts, seeds, granola, or jam.