This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Fast, easy and utterly delicious ~ these Vegan Crab Bites are the perfect party appetizer. They can be served hot or cold and take 20 minutes to prepare.
If you're going to a party, but have no idea what to bring, you'll definitely want to make these Vegan Crab Bites. They are a crowd favorite!
Who can resist a creamy dip tucked inside a crispy shell? Nobody can! So, they'll be a hit at your next party and disappear fast!
I'm making two batches for a family gathering along with a platter of Vegan Cheddar Cheese, Herb Crackers and Vegan Pepperoni. I don't have to worry about heating anything up and can focus on having fun.
To make these delicious bites, you'll just have to pick up pre-made phyllo shells, hearts of palm and some pantry staples. So simple!
Are phyllo cups vegan?
Yes, most store-bought brands are accidentally vegan, just double check before you purchase. I buy Athens Foods Phyllo Shells and I usually find them at Walmart in the frozen section.
How to make Vegan Crab Bites
(full printable recipe in the card below)
Add the hearts of palm to a Food Processor and give 3-4 long pulses until shredded. Don't over process - the mixture should have a crab-like consistency.
To a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, kelp, Old Bay Seasoning, parsley, garlic, onion, salt & fresh cracked pepper. Combine everything well.
Now add the shredded hearts of palm and combine everything well. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
Using a small spoon, fill each shell with mixture. Top with fresh-cut parsley if desired. Serve right away or chill in a covered container until ready to serve.
Add on ideas:
- For a richer stuffing, you can swap out ¼ cup mayo for a ¼ cup Vegan Cream Cheese or Vegan Sour Cream.
- Add fresh-cut greens like chives, dill, parsley and green onion to the mixture (or as a garnish).
- For extra flavor, you can add ¼ teaspoon of cumin, crushed red pepper, coriander, cayenne pepper or paprika.
How to turn these Vegan Crab Bites into a hot appetizer
It's so easy! Here's what you'll need to do:
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C)
- Prepare the mixture the same way
- Fill the phyllo cups and add a sprinkle of panko breadcrumbs on top
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until filling is heated throughout and breadcrumbs are golden
Look for more small bites? Here are my faves:
I'd love to hear from you
If you make these Vegan Crab Bites, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Crab Bites
- 2 14 ounce cans hearts of palm drained & rinsed
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kelp granules (*optional)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or 2 tablespoon fresh-cut)
- ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- Salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste (note the sodium in Old Bay)
- 30 frozen mini phyllo shells , thawed (2 packages)
- Add the hearts of palm to a food processor and give 3-4 long pulses, until shredded (you may need to shred in two batches depending on the size of your processor). Don't over process - the mixture should have a crab-like consistency. (*see photo above)
- To a large bowl, add mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, kelp, Old Bay Seasoning, parsley, garlic, onion, salt & fresh cracked pepper. Combine well.
- Add the shredded hearts of palm to the bowl and combine well. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.
- Using a small spoon, fill each shell with mixture. Top with fresh-cut parsley if desired. Keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- If you can't find kelp granules, you can use dulse flakes, dulse granules or break up a small piece of nori. If you don't want the ocean-like flavor, you can omit the seaweed altogether. It will still be delicious!
- For a richer stuffing, you can swap out ¼ cup mayo for a ¼ cup vegan cream cheese or vegan sour cream (soften cream cheese before using).
- Fills about 26-30 shells depending on how much you stuff them.
- You can make filling the day before, just cover and pop it in the fridge.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can shred the hearts of palm with a fork.
- If you'd like to turn these into a hot appetizer, you can find the instructions in the post above.