This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Taco night will never be the same after you try these Lentil Mushroom Tacos w/ Mango Salsa. They are sweet, savory and downright delicious!
Anyone else out there celebrate taco night at home? We have a taco party almost every week and it brings lots of smiles to the table. These Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos are very popular in our home, but today, I'm sharing our current favorite - Lentil Mushroom Tacos with Mango Salsa. This is a must-try for everyone because they really are THAT good.
We love taco night because it never gets boring. Tacos are so versatile and can be filled with almost anything and dressed up to your liking. You can use soft or hard shells, various veggies, grains, fruit, guacamole, vegan sour cream, salsa, chipotle sauce, and more. There are no rules!
Are they good for you?
Taco night can be healthy, flavorful, and fun! Yes, those three words can go together well. Also, We don't need meat to have a tasty taco, because it's all about the seasonings anyway. Did you ever have an unseasoned chicken or beef taco? Probably not because it would be gross.
So, let's replace the meat with quality-protein lentils and meaty mushrooms and season them to taco perfection. Now you can get the protein, the texture, and all the tasty goodness, without harming animals or our planet. Sounds like a win-win alternative, huh?
Lentil and mushrooms together are just magical. You'll get a soft, hearty, and meaty texture, that will fill you up and not leave you feeling hungry in 20 minutes. You'll feel satisfied and happy. These tacos are sweet, savory, and delightful.
This lentil mushroom filling is really delicious on its own, but if you want to make them out-of-this-world delicious, you can add some sweet and spicy fresh Mango Salsa. It sounds fancy, but it only takes minutes to prepare and it's so worth it.
This colorful salsa is bursting with juicy sweetness and spiciness. It really adds the finishing touches and it's like the confetti for your taco party. It's bright, colorful sweet, and spicy. Your tacos won't even know what hit 'em!
How to make Lentil Mushroom Tacos
These tacos are so quick and easy to make. You just sauté some onions and mushrooms together with the taco seasonings. Then you add the lentils and broth, then simmer for about 30-40 minutes. While that's happening you can prepare your flavorful salsa.
Easy peasy! You'll have the family around the table in no time. Enjoy!
More Taco Night Recipes to Try
And here are 25 more Vegan Taco Recipes from Vegetarian Gastronomy. Your taco night will never get boring with all these choices!
I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this Lentil Mushroom Tacos, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Lentil Mushroom Tacos w/ Mango Salsa
- 1 cup tomatoes , diced
- 2 cups mango , diced
- ½ cup cilantro , chopped
- ½ cup onion , diced
- 1 jalapeño , seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt (or preferred salt), more to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Lentil Mushroom Filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms , diced
- 1 cup uncooked lentils , red or brown
- 2 cups vegetable broth , low sodium (*See note)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 8 taco shells , hard or soft
- Toss all ingredients together until well combined. Set in the fridge until ready to serve.
Lentil Mushroom Filling
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the diced onion sauté until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms release some liquid, about 2-3 minutes. Now add minced garlic, tomato paste, and spices. Cook until mushrooms are tender & lightly browned, About 2-3 minutes
- Add lentils, vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let mixture cook for about 20-25 minutes, until lentils are tender.
- Uncover and cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until liquid cooks down & mixture is thickened. Remove bay leaf.
- Now spoon the filling into your taco shell and dress up to your liking. Enjoy!