This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Vegan Corn Fritters – the perfect crispy bite! Loaded with corn, bell peppers, and green onions, these fritters are packed with flavor and done in 25 minutes or less!
(This recipe was originally published here on March 21st, 2016. I refreshed the photos and simplified the recipe)
If you love crispy food and anything with corn, you're going to LOVE these Vegan Corn Fritters! They are so easy to whip up and my family goes crazy for them. You don't need any special ingredients or equipment either - just a large non-stick skillet to crisp them up.
These fritters are not deep-fried, and I don't use a lot of oil either. I use just enough to coat the pan which is about 1.5 tablespoons per batch. They turn golden and crisp up beautifully! You've gotta try them!
You can enjoy them as an appetizer, side, or even for breakfast! They are full of flavor, so you can eat them as is or dunk them in your favorite dipping sauce.
(full ingredient amounts in recipe card below)
Salt and pepper
Unsweetened non-dairy milk
Canned or frozen corn
Red bell pepper
Oil for frying
Feel free to add more seasoning to suit your taste buds. You can add ¼-1/2 teaspoon of cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, coriander, or smoked paprika.
Also, you can swap out the bell peppers for poblano peppers for mild heat or serrano peppers for spicy heat. You can also omit the peppers and substitute with more corn if you don't like them.
If you don't like green onions, you can swap them out for ⅓ cup of chopped cilantro or basil and add a sprinkle of onion powder to the mix. It all works!
How to make Vegan Corn Fritters
- STEP 1: Add the flour, cornmeal, garlic, baking powder, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- STEP 2: Add the milk and whisk until just combined. The batter should be thick, but if it looks dry, a few teaspoons of milk or oil to moisten.
- STEP 3: Now add the corn, bell pepper, and green onions. Fold with a Mixing Spatula to combine well.
STEP 4: Heat up a Large Non-Stick Skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. When the pan is hot, add the oil and wait until it shimmers. Using a Large Cookie Scoop place 3 tablespoons of batter into the pan (you can also use a ¼ measuring cup, but only fill ¾ of the way).
The batter should sizzle when it hits the pan. If it doesn't, let your pan heat for another 30 seconds before adding more batter. Gently press down the mound to flatten the fritter. Place down more batter in a clockwise pattern until you run out of room. Don't crowd the pan or the fritters won't crisp well.
STEP 5: Cook fritters for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Using a Small Spatula, check under the first fritter you placed to see if it's ready, then flip and repeat on the other side. Check the rest in the same clockwise direction and flip when ready. The other side will likely cook faster so keep an eye on them. If the pan is smoking, turn down the heat.
STEP 6: Place fritters on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Repeat the method until all batter is gone.
Can I bake them?
Well, you can, but they won't have the same crispness that the fried does. The texture was a little different too, but they still tasted delicious. I prefer them in the pan using minimal oil, but If you want to try baking them, here's what you'll need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with oil.
- Place 3 tablespoons of batter on the sheet leaving a few inches in between each fritter (you can use a large cookie scoop or almost fill a ¼ measuring cup).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes on each side until lightly browned and crisp.
Can I freeze corn fritters?
YES! They actually freeze really well. After frying, let them completely cool before placing them in an airtight container. It's best to use wax paper in between each fritter to prevent them from sticking together. Freeze for 4-5 months.
To reheat them, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 °F (200 °C) for 10-15 minutes until heated throughout. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. If your oven runs hot, you may want to reduce the heat a little.
Plus, they reheat beautifully in the Air Fryer too! Just cook them at 390 °F for 5-8 minutes or until heated throughout and crispy.
More Corn Recipes to Enjoy
- Avocado Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Skillet Cornbread
- Vegan Corn Chowder
- Fried Corn (recipe by Vegan in the Freezer)
- Vegan Cornbread
I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Corn Fritters
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon soy milk , unsweetened (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 cup corn , unsalted canned or frozen (*see note)
- ½ cup red bell pepper , diced
- 2 green onions , thinly sliced
- grapeseed oil for frying (or any high smoke point oil)
See note for optional onion dip recipe
- Prepare a paper towel-lined plate or tray and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, garlic, baking powder, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine well.
- Add the milk and whisk until combined. The batter should be thick, but if looks dry, add a few teaspoons of milk or oil to moisten.
- Add the corn, bell pepper and green onions. Fold with a spatula to combine.
- Heat up a Large Non-Stick Skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. When hot, drizzle oil on the bottom of the pan to coat.
- Using a Large Cookie Scoop (or ¼ measuring cup filled ¾ the way), scoop about 3 tablespoons of batter out and into the pan (you should hear the batter sizzle). Gently press down the mound to flatten. Repeat in a clockwise pattern until you run out of room. Don't crowd the pan or they won't crisp well.
- Cook fritters for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown. Using a spatula, check under the first fritter you placed to see if it's ready, then flip and repeat on the other side. Check the rest in the same clockwise direction and flip when ready. The other side will likely cook faster so keep an eye on them. If the pan is smoking, turn down the heat.
- Place fritters on paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil. Repeat method until all batter is gone. Serve with dip and enjoy!
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon granulated onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste