This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
This Blood Orange Margarita recipe is made with fresh-squeezed oranges, agave nectar, and your favorite tequila. So simple, delicious, and refreshing!
Hey guys, it's Friday! How about a Blood Orange Margarita to celebrate? Just 4 ingredients and this crimson-colored cocktail can be yours.
Not a tequila fan? No problem! You can make this refreshing beverage into the tastiest mocktail ever. Don't like oranges? You can make a Frozen Watermelon Margarita instead. So many options!
We usually have taco night on Tuesday (doesn't everyone?), and pizza night on Friday, but this Friday night we are shaking down the house with my Spicy Vegan Nacho Cheese, my Lentil Mushroom Tacos w/ Mango Salsa, and these fresh-tasting Blood Orange Margaritas.
What do blood oranges taste like?
They taste similar to a navel orange, except they have a berry-like overtone. They are less acidic and more robust in flavor too. The crimson-colored flesh is just gorgeous! My local grocer was completely stocked with blood oranges, so I had to buy a bunch.
How to make a Blood Orange Margarita
This is super simple to put together in minutes. Here's how to do it:
- Juice the oranges and strain the pulp.
- Pour the orange juice, lime juice, agave, and tequila in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake, shake, shake!
- Rim a glass with salt and fill it up with ice.
- Strain the mixture into a glass and enjoy!
For the alcohol-free version, just make it the same way and replace the tequila with club soda. Now you have a refreshing cocktail to enjoy with your friends. Your buzz will come from all the vitamins, and antioxidants. Fresh juice is served!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think by leaving a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and sharing your feedback in the comment section below. It would really make my day!
⭐️ Subscribe to the Vegan Huggs Newsletter and receive weekly recipes straight to your inbox! You'll also receive my FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes.
Blood Orange Margarita
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed blood orange juice, strain to remove pulp (about 4 med oranges)
- ⅓ cup silver tequila , more if preferred
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 med lime)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (sub pure maple syrup)
- Ice cubes
- Pink Himalayan salt , for rim of glass (or any salt)
- Lime or orange wedge
- Sprig of mint or basil
- Spread a bit of salt on a small plate. Rub the rim of each glass with a lime or orange wedge. Dip the rim into the salt at a 45 degree angle and turn gently, until glass is coated (this avoids too much salt going into the glass). Fill each glass with ice and set aside.
- Fill a large cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in orange juice, lime juice, agave and tequila. Shake for 30-60 seconds to chill and combine. Taste before pouring into glasses. Add more juice, agave or tequila if needed. Strain into prepped cocktail glasses and garnish with a lime or orange wedge (or both). Enjoy!
- If you'd like to make mocktails, just omit the tequila, and add ¼ cup of club soda instead. Don't shake the club soda, just add it directly to the glasses on top of the shaken mixture.
- If you can't find blood oranges, any type will work. My second choice would be cara cara oranges.
- The nutritional information is calculated without the salted rim.