This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Everyone loves a classic sweet treat and these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes fit the bill! They're tender, fluffy, and simply irresistible! Make them for parties, potlucks, or when you just want something sweet and simple. They are so easy to whip up and they bake in just 20 minutes!
If you love simplicity and sweets, then these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes might be for you! They are a favorite recipe from my dessert collection and my go-to for celebrations or when someone needs a pick-me-up.
Also, it's the perfect recipe to make with your kiddos and teach them how to bake. They are easy, fun and you'll only need 9 ingredients to make them!
(FULL AMOUNTS IN RECIPE CARD BELOW)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Soy milk
- Fresh lemon juice
- Neutral flavored oil
- Non-dairy yogurt
- Vanilla extract
How To Make Them
- 1 - Combine the soy milk, yogurt, and lemon juice together in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- 2 - Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- 3 - Add the oil, vanilla extract, and sugar to the medium bowl. Whisk to combine well.
- 4 -Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk gently until just combined.
- 5 - Pour batter into each liner about ⅔ the way full. Place in the oven on the middle rack for 18-22 minutes until lightly golden.
- 6 - Remove the pan from the oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes before touching. Now gently remove the cupcakes and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- If you don't have lemons you can substitute the juice with apple cider vinegar.
- Soy milk works the best because it curdles like dairy buttermilk, but if you can't have soy, then you can use any plant-based milk you prefer.
- I prefer So Delicious yogurt, but any brand of non-dairy yogurt will work. You can use unsweetened, plain, or even a vanilla flavored variety too.
- If you can't find vegan yogurt, you can replace it with ⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk. You can use ¼ cup of applesauce too. It does leave an apple flavor behind, but it's very subtle.
Tips and Tricks:
- For uniform results, make sure to fill the liners evenly with batter.
- If your oven runs too hot/cool, it can yield undesired results. I highly recommend an oven thermometer to ensure the temp is accurate.
- Let the cupcakes completely cool before frosting them. If you're using sprinkles, add them right away after frosting so they stick well.
- Don't overfill the liners or the batter will spill out and stick to the pan.
- If you use coconut oil, make sure to melt it first and measure it melted. Let it cool a few minutes before adding to the other ingredients. Also, make sure your other ingredients are at room temp or the coconut oil will get lumpy when mixed.
You can enjoy them plain, topped with fresh fruit, jam, or your favorite homemade or store-bought frosting. I topped these with my homemade Vegan Buttercream Frosting but they go well with my Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting or Vegan Chocolate Frosting. They are perfect with Vegan Sprinkles too!
How can I store cupcakes?
Cupcakes are freshest the same day, but they will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature in an airtight container. To prevent soggy cupcakes, place a paper towel on the bottom of the container and on top of the cupcakes before closing. You can also store them in the fridge the same way for 3-5 days.
Can I freeze them?
YES! They freeze beautifully for about 2-3 months without frosting. I wrap them individually in wax paper in an airtight container or Ziploc. To thaw, leave them out at room temp for 20-30 minutes. You can also wrap them in a moist paper towel and microwave them for 20-30 seconds.
What kind of cupcake pan is best?
The type of cupcake pan you use can yield varied results depending on the material. Even the color of the pan will yield different results. So, it's best to find one suited for your preference.
Here is an informative article sharing Expert Tips for Bakers. It explains the difference between materials and color. I prefer to use sturdy vintage ones or this high-quality Aluminized Steel Pan for wonderful results.
More vegan sweets to enjoy:
I’d love to hear from you
If you make these Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Vegan Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup soy milk or preferred milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice , fresh-squeezed (sub apple cider vinegar)
- ⅓ cup grapeseed oil or any neutral-flavored oil (avocado, sunflower, etc.)
- ⅓ cup non-dairy yogurt , plain or unsweetened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 batch vegan buttercream frosting or your favorite store-bought/homemade variety
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F (177 ° C). Place 12 muffin liners in a standard muffin pan, or you can lightly grease each slot. (*see note)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the soy milk, yogurt, and lemon juice together. Set aside about 5 minutes.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine well.
- To the medium bowl, add the oil, vanilla extract, and sugar. Whisk to combine well.
- Now add the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk gently until just combined (some small lumps are fine). Don't overwork the batter or it can cause dense and chewy cupcakes that won't rise well.
- Pour mixture into each liner evenly about ⅔ the way full (an ice cream scoop works great for this). Don't overfill.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack for 18-22 minutes until lightly golden. To check for doneness, lightly press the surface - It should spring back. Don't over bake or they will be dry.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes before touching. Now gently remove the cupcakes and transfer them to a cooling rack. Let completely cool before decorating with frosting. Enjoy!