This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Up your snacking game with these Smoky Air Fryer Chickpeas. They are quick, easy, healthy and a little bit addicting. No air fryer? No worries, I've included an oven method too.
If you're a serial snacker like me, you might want to try these healthy Air Fryer Chickpeas. They are crispy, smoky, tangy, spicy and just absurdly delicious!
I never thought I would succumb to the air fryer craze, but I totally caved. I liked the idea of a healthier alternative to frying, but I really LOVED the idea of it cooking food FAST!
I've been a member of Vegan Air Frying Enthusiasts on Facebook for a while and I couldn't believe what everyone was cooking in their air fryer. I needed to join the fun!
You can make all sorts of typical fried foods in a much healthier way. But, you can also cook up things like Orange Tofu, Burgers, Hot Dogs, Taco Crunch Wraps, Casseroles, Sushi Rolls, Veggies, Grilled Cheese Sangys, Croutons, Taquitos, and even Baked Sweets. The sky's the limit!
I'm going to try my Vegan Crab Cakes and Vegan Mozzarella Sticks next. I'll keep you posted!
After some research, I decided to purchase the Philips Air Fryer model. It had great reviews and had a bit more room than other brands. I've been super happy with it and it has been working flawlessly. I'm hooked!
One of my first recipes in the air fryer were these smoky chickpeas. They are just as healthy and delicious baked in the oven, but so much faster in the fryer. It usually takes about 15-18 minutes for crunchy perfection.
WHAT DO I NEED FOR AIR FRYER CHICKPEAS?
You won't have to buy any fancy ingredients, you'll just need some common kitchen staples and your air fryer (*oven method below). Here's what you'll need:
Chickpeas (a.k.a garbanzo beans)
Sunflower oil (or preferred oil)
Cayenne pepper (*optional)
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER CHICKPEAS
STEP 1 - Rinse and drain the chickpeas well. Set fryer to 390 F.
STEP 2 - Place the drained chickpeas in the basket and fry for 15 minutes until dry. Shake the basket once at the midway mark.
STEP 3 - Now prepare your seasoning mixture. Add the oil, lemon juice, and all seasonings in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine well.
STEP 3 - Carefully add dried chickpeas to the bowl of seasoning mixture. Stir to combine well and place the seasoned chickpeas back in your air fryer basket and set to 360 ° F. Air fry for 2-3 minutes until desired crispiness is reached. Shake the basket once at the midway mark. * Watch carefully at this point to prevent burning. Taste for seasoning and add if needed. Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
TIPS FOR AIR FRYING CHICKPEAS
- If your air fryer is small, you may need to work in batches to ensure even crisping.
- I don't usually remove the skins because I'm lazy and I don't mind them, but you can peel them if preferred. Place them inside a dry towel and gently roll around. Most of the skins will loosen.
- Let the chickpeas completely cool before storing or they will get soggy.
OVEN METHOD FOR ROASTED CHICKPEAS
If you don't have an air fryer, you can still enjoy this tasty snack using your oven. The time will take a little longer, but the method is just as easy.
- Preheat your oven to 375 ° F
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas
- Place rinsed chickpeas on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 20-30 minutes until dry throughout. Move beans around every 10 minutes or so.
- In a medium/large bowl, add the oil, lemon, and all seasonings. Whisk to combine well.
- Carefully add the dried chickpeas to the prepared bowl of seasonings. Stir to combine well.
- Place back on a baking sheet and cook for another 15-20 minutes until desired consistency is reached.
TIP: For super crispy chickpeas, turn off the oven and leave the door slightly ajar. Let them sit for 30-60 minutes more. Store in an airtight container.
Want more air fryer deliciousness? You may want to try these Potato Air Fryer Tacos next. They are a family favorite and SO easy to make!
More vegan snack recipes to try
I’d love to hear from you
If you make these Air Fryer Chickpeas, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Smoky Air Fryer Chickpeas
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas , rinsed and drained well
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil (or preferred oil)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper (*optional)
- Set your Air Fryer to 390 ° F.
- Place the rinsed chickpeas in the basket and fry for 15 minutes until dry. Shake basket once at the midway mark.
- While they are cooking you can prepare the seasoning. In a medium bowl, add the oil, lemon and all seasonings. Whisk to combine well.
- Carefully add the fried chickpeas to the bowl of seasonings. Stir to combine well.
- Place the seasoned chickpeas back in your air fryer basket and set to 360 ° F. Now fry for 2-3 minutes until desired crispiness is reached. Shake basket once at the midway mark. *Watch carefully at this point to prevent burning.
- Taste for seasoning and add if needed. Enjoy right away or store in airtight container for 3-5 days. Let completely cool before storing.
- Place drained chickpeas on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until dry throughout. Move beans around every 10 minutes or so.
- While they are roasting, you can prepare the seasoning. In a medium/large bowl, add the oil, lemon and all seasonings. Whisk to combine well. Set aside.
- Add dried chickpeas to the prepared bowl of seasonings. Stir to combine well.
- Place back on baking sheet and cook for another 15-20 minutes until desired consistency is reached.
* For super crispy chickpeas, turn off oven and leave the door slightly ajar. Let them sit for 30-60 minutes more. Store in airtight container.
What a delicious recipes you always place on your website. How do you, if I may ask, get these ideas?
Thank you so much! So many childhood favorites have inspired me. I love veganizing classics. I used to buy store-bought toasted chickpeas until I realized they were so easy to make at home. Eating out inspires me too. 🙂
These sound so tasty! I love adding fried or roasted chickpeas to salads or even just to snack on. I look forward to seeing what you make next from your air fryer!
Thank you, Cadry! Yeah, they are the best on salads. So easy in the air fryer too 🙂