This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
In just 30 minutes, you can have this Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta. It’s spicy, garlicky, rich and savory!
Besides being a total soupaholic, I’m also die-hard pasta lover! It’s one food I just can’t live without. It’s easy to make, comforting and satisfying!
I’m from Long Island where there is literally an Italian restaurant around every corner (no matter where you are). Pizza, garlic knots, pasta, and subs were always a short drive/walk away. How could anyone resist?
I have lots of fond memories attached to Italian-style food, so I make it often. Some of my favorites are this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, Pasta in White Wine Sauce, Fettuccine Alfredo, Penne Alla Vodka, Pasta Caprese and this Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta.
Oh, and there’s lots more to come so stay tuned!
Here’s what you’ll need: (full amounts in recipe card below)
Red chili flakes
Salt & pepper
Vegan cream cheese
If you don’t have homemade or store-bought vegan parmesan, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast instead (more if preferred). You can also swap out the vegan cream cheese for vegan sour cream. Either one will make the sauce super creamy.
I like to use low sodium broth, so I can control the salt taste. Some broths are too salty and can ruin a good recipe. If you would like to use a regular broth, make sure to cut down the added salt in the recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
Place pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water and cook until al dente. This usually takes about 9-11 minutes, but go according to package directions. Now drain well and set aside.
Heat up the olive oil over medium heat. When heated, add the diced onion and sauté until translucent. Usually takes about 2-3 minutes.
Now add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until it’s lightly brown. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Now stir in the tomato paste, crushed red pepper, oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes. Move everything around the pan to prevent burning.
Add the white wine and turn heat up to medium-high to simmer. Once it’s simmering turn heat back to medium and cook wine down. Should take about 2-3 minutes.
Now add the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, and cracked pepper. Lightly simmer for 5-6 minutes until liquid reduces a little bit. Stir in the vegan cream cheese and parmesan. Add the fresh spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until it’s slightly wilted.
Now add cooked & drained pasta to the pan. Gently toss to coat. Warm pasta in sauce for a few minutes (*only if needed).
Otherwise, remove from heat and serve immediately. Top with cracked pepper, fresh-cut basil, and vegan parmesan.
I’d love to hear from you
If you make this Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Creamy Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- 16 oz penne pasta (GF if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes * optional
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 26 oz pak/can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese , softened (sub vegan sour cream)
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan (sub 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast)
- 2 cups (heaping) fresh spinach
- Place pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water. Cook until al dente (usually 9-11 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- Heat up oil over medium heat. When heated, add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until lightly brown. * Stir often to prevent burning.
- Now stir in the tomato paste, crushed red pepper, oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add wine and turn heat up to medium-high to simmer. Once simmering turn heat back to medium. Cook wine down, about 2-3 minutes. Stir often.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Lightly simmer for 5-6 minutes until liquid reduces a little bit.
- Stir in the vegan cream cheese and parmesan. Keep stirring until melted and combined.
- Add the fresh spinach and cook until it's slightly wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the pasta to the pan and gently toss to coat. (*For saucier pasta, don't add the full pound) Warm pasta in sauce for a few minutes only if needed). Otherwise, remove from heat and serve immediately. *Top with fresh-cut basil, cracked pepper, and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!