These Tofu Nuggets are easy to make and call for 8 simple ingredients. They bake up super crispy and they’re totally kid-approved! Serve them at parties, movie night, or snack time along with your favorite dipping sauce. They are irresistible!
How can anyone resist crunchy little bites that are perfect for dipping? It’s impossible! Especially, when they are homemade and much healthier than deep-fried treats.
You can make these Baked Tofu Nuggets without oil or just a minimal amount for a super golden crust. They are a favorite amongst kiddos and big kiddos too!
My son is a super-fan and he requests these crispy bites at least once a week. How can I say no?
You don’t have to reserve them for an appetizer or snack, you can also serve them on the side of a light meal, with soup, or top them on a delicious salad!
HOW TO MAKE TOFU NUGGETS
(full ingredient amounts in recipe card below)
First, you’ll want to press the tofu for at least 30 minutes (longer if you prefer) After it’s fully pressed, pat dry and cut tofu lengthwise in half, then cut each half into four equally-sized squares.
TO PRESS TOFU: wrap a block of tofu in a few paper towels and place it on a rimmed plate. Add a cast iron skillet on top (or something equally heavy) and let it drain for at least 30 minutes. When finished, pat dry to remove excess moisture on the surface. You can also use a Tofu Press to make it even easier or you can buy Pre-Pressed Tofu.
Now preheat your oven to 450° F (230° C) and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add Breadcrumbs to a bowl or rimmed plate. Combine with 1/2 teaspoon each of Garlic, Onion, and Salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk the Flour and remaining Garlic, Onion, and Salt. Pour the Milk and Water in and whisk to combine. Add a splash of water if the batter is too thick.
- Submerge a tofu square into batter and coat well. Gently shake off excess and place in the breadcrumbs. Roll around to coat well and place on baking sheet. Spray with oil if preferred.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until they turn crispy and golden. Flip over pieces at the halfway mark and spray with oil again if desired.
INTERESTED IN MORE SMALL BITES? YOU MIGHT LIKE TO TRY THESE:
I’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by ★ star rating it and leaving a comment below. It would really make my day. You can also follow me on Instagram and share your creation with me. Just tag me @veganhuggs and hashtag #veganhuggs so I don’t miss it.
Baked Tofu Nuggets
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs , more if needed
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu , drained and pressed (*see note)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water , more if needed
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk , unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic , divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion , divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , divided. More to taste
- Cooking oil spray (*Optional)
- Preheat oven to 450° F (230° C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To a large rimmed plate (or bowl), add the Breadcrumbs, and 1/2 teaspoon each of Garlic, Onion, and Salt. Combine well and set aside.
- Cut tofu lengthwise in half, then cut each half into 6 equally-sized squares. You should have a total of 12 squares.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Flour and remaining Garlic, Onion, and Salt. Now pour in the Milk and Water and whisk to combine well. The batter should be thick, but still pourable. If it's too thick, add a few splashes of water.
- Submerge a piece of tofu into the batter and coat well. Lightly shake off excess batter and place in the breadcrumbs. Gently roll around to coat well and place on baking sheet, leaving room in between each piece. *Optional: spray with oil for extra golden nuggets. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until they turn golden and crisp. Flip over pieces at the halfway mark and spray with oil again if desired.
- Serve immediately with dipping sauces of your choice. Enjoy!