Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder
Brighten up your summer with this Vegan Corn Chowder. It's super creamy, flavor-packed & satisfying. You'll get a taste of fresh sweet corn in every bite
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1/2 cup raw cashews , soaked in water 3-4 hours (*See Note)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 2 celery stalks , diced
- 2 medium carrots , diced or sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 med/large cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth , low sodium
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 medium russet potatoes , peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt , more to taste
- 3 cups fresh corn , cut off kernels from corn cobs (frozen can be used)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Fresh cracked pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup green onion , sliced (for topping)
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and add onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and crushed red pepper. Sauté for 30-60 seconds.
Add wine and turn heat up to medium-high to simmer. Once simmering turn heat back to medium. Cook wine down about 2-3 minutes. Stir often.
Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir constantly for 30-60 seconds. This will cook off the raw flour taste.
Stir in broth and add potatoes, bay leaves, and salt. Turn heat up again to medium-high to simmer. Once simmering turn heat back to medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Add corn kernels and cook until tender. About 5-8 minutes depending on desired tenderness. Remove bay leaves.
Turn heat to medium-low and slowly stir in cashew cream. Taste for seasoning and add more if needed. Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and fresh cracked pepper if desired.
Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend some of the soup depending on your desired consistency. I like lots of texture, so I blend less than half the pot. You can skip blending the soup if you prefer a chunkier soup.
Place in your favorite soup bowls & garnish with fresh green onion. Side with crackers or crispy bread. Enjoy!
*To speed up soaking time for cashews: in a small pot, boil water and remove from heat. Add cashews and cover for 20 minutes, until softened.
*Prep time doesn't include soaking time for cashews
* Other topping ideas: paprika, fresh thyme, vegan cheese shreds, crushed red pepper, vegan sour cream, fresh cilantro, fresh parsley.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 513mg | Potassium: 916mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3860IU | Vitamin C: 13.5mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 3mg