Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup
Vegan Potato Leek Soup - the combination of creamy potatoes, delicate leeks and herbal notes of rosemary and thyme will have you going back for seconds! It's dairy-free, gluten-free and just good for you, too!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 large leeks , cleaned well & thinly sliced (white & light green part only) *See note
- 5 medium russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- Green onion , chopped
- Pieces of cooked potato
- Fresh ground pepper
Make sure leeks are washed well first. *See note on instructions
Heat the oil, butter and a pinch of salt in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks & onion, sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat so it starts to simmer. Now reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in the coconut milk and optional lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more to taste.
Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender and carefully blend in batches. Before blending, set aside a few pieces of potato for the garnish.
Serve in soup bowls and top with chopped green onion, fresh ground pepper and a few pieces of cooked potato.
*Leeks can be very dirty inside the layers because they are grown in sandy soil. To clean thoroughly, cut off the dark green part and discard (or save for stock). Cut off the roots, and slice the stalk lengthwise in half. Now slice the entire leek into pieces. Place in a small bowl of water and swish around to release the dirt. Place in a colander and drain well.
* If you don't have vegan butter, you can replace it with olive oil.
*If you don't like coconut milk, my second choice for this recipe would be unsweetened soy milk, because it has a richer & creamier texture, but any plant-based milk will work.
Want to try this soup in the Instant Pot? Find my recipe HERE.
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 483mg | Potassium: 1155mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 740IU | Vitamin C: 17.9mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 3.9mg