Baked Tofu Nuggets
These Tofu Nuggets are easy to make and call for 8 simple ingredients. They bake up super crispy and they're totally kid-approved!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 People
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs , more if needed
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu , drained and pressed (*see note)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water , more if needed
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk , unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic , divided
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion , divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , divided. More to taste
- Cooking oil spray (*Optional)
Preheat oven to 450° F (230° C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
To a large rimmed plate (or bowl), add the Breadcrumbs, and 1/2 teaspoon each of Garlic, Onion, and Salt. Combine well and set aside.
Cut tofu lengthwise in half, then cut each half into 6 equally-sized squares. You should have a total of 12 squares.
In a large bowl, whisk together the Flour and remaining Garlic, Onion, and Salt. Now pour in the Milk and Water and whisk to combine well. The batter should be thick, but still pourable. If it's too thick, add a few splashes of water.
Submerge a piece of tofu into the batter and coat well. Lightly shake off excess batter and place in the breadcrumbs. Gently roll around to coat well and place on baking sheet, leaving room in between each piece. *Optional: spray with oil for extra golden nuggets. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until they turn golden and crisp. Flip over pieces at the halfway mark and spray with oil again if desired.
Serve immediately with dipping sauces of your choice. Enjoy!
* PRESSING TOFU: wrap a block of tofu in a few paper towels and place it on a rimmed plate. Add a cast iron skillet on top (or something equally heavy)and let it drain for at least 30 minutes. When finished, pat dry to remove excess moisture on the surface. You can also use a Tofu Press to make it even easier or you can buy Pre-Pressed Tofu.
* Prep time doesn't include pressing the tofu.
Serving: 3Nuggets | Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 475mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 1.1mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 2.3mg