Cheesy Vegan Savory Pancakes – The perfect way to start your morning! Loaded with cheddar cheese and green onions, these pancakes are flavor-packed and satisfying! Who can resist?
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed (mix with 5 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk , unsweetened (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (sub lemon juice)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter , melted (sub neutral-flavored oil)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt , more to taste
- 1 cup non-dairy cheese shreds
- 1/2 cup green onions , chopped
- Oil to grease the pan
Preheat oven to 200 ° F (93° C) - To keep cooked pancakes warm.
Prepare flax eggs in a small bowl and set aside about 10 minutes. It will thicken up and become gel-like.
In a medium bowl add the soy milk and vinegar. Set aside about 10 minutes. This creates a vegan buttermilk (It's normal to curdle).
In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, garlic & salt together. Whisk to combine well.
Add the prepared flax eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter to the large bowl and whisk until just combined. Don't overwork the batter. The batter will have some lumps. (the batter should be thick, but if it's too thick, add a small amount of milk and combine)
Now fold the cheese and green onions into the batter.
Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. When pan is evenly heated, drizzle with oil and spread with a paper towel to coat evenly.
Scoop a 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet to form pancake circles (they don't have to be perfectly shaped). *I usually cook four at a time. Cook the pancakes until you notice tiny bubbles/holes form on the top and the edges are somewhat firm (about 1-2 minutes).
Now flip your pancake and cook the other side about 1-2 minutes, until golden brown. Place cooked pancake on a baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.
Repeat until all the batter is gone. Drizzle oil in the pan before placing fresh batter down. (*If the pan gets too hot, it could burn the batter fast. Take the pan off the heat and let it cool for a minute before starting. Make sure to reheat evenly before adding fresh batter).
* Yields about 16 pancakes
* Serving & topping ideas: Side with vegan bacon, tomatoes, avocado or fruit. Top with fresh herbs, vegan butter, vegan sour cream, sliced green onions, maple syrup or your favorite dipping sauce.
* If you have kiddos that don't like green onion, you can replace it with frozen corn (thaw first) and add 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder to the dry mix.
* For extra savory flavor, add 3/4 teaspoon of ground cumin to the dry mix.
* Tip: For best results, don’t scoop the flour with a measuring cup directly from the flour container. Instead, scoop the flour out of your container with a spoon and then into a measuring cup. Don’t pack or tap the cup. After filling, lightly sweep a butter knife across the top to remove the excess flour.
Serving: 1(4 pancakes) | Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 780mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 5g | Vitamin A: 390IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 3.6mg