Tofu Veggie Stir Fry
Skip the take-out and make your own Tofu Veggie Stir Fry at home. It's easy, fun to make, and full of mouth-watering flavor!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 5 people
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu , pressed and cut into 1-inch cubes (*see note)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any oil with high smoke point), more if needed
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce , low sodium (GF if preferred) Sub soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce (GF if preferred)
- 1-2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth , low sodium
- 2-3 cloves garlic , grated or minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger , grated
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 8 ounces stir fry noodles (sub with preferred noodles)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or any oil with high smoke point)
- 1/2 medium red onion , sliced
- 1 small head (3 cups) broccoli , cut into small florets (about 1.5")
- 1 large red bell pepper , cut into thin strips
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (*optional)
Add all the sauce ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to combine well. Taste and adjust flavor if needed. Set aside.
In a large bowl, gently toss the tofu cubes with the corn starch and salt until all sides are coated. Set aside.
Cook stir-fry noodles according to package directions. I usually reduce the cook time by 1-2 minutes for firmer noodles. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Drizzle with oil to prevent sticking.
Heat up a Wok or Large Skillet over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes. Once heated add oil and wait until it shimmers. Now add prepared tofu cubes and let them sit for 1-2 minutes to brown. Using tongs, flip to the other side to brown. Continue until all sides are crispy. Remove from heat and place tofu on a paper towel-lined plate. Wipe out wok.
Place the wok back on the stove over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the oil and wait for it to shimmer. Now add the onions and stir fry for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened. Add the optional red pepper flakes.
Now add the peppers and broccoli. Stir fry for about 4-6 minutes until the veggies are crisp-tender.
Turn heat down to medium and add the crispy tofu. Whisk the prepared sauce again and pour into the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir often.
Add the noodles and gently toss to coat. Cook for 1-2 minutes to warm noodles. Remove from heat and serve. See notes for serving ideas.
* PRESSING TOFU: wrap a block of tofu in a few paper towels and place it on a rimmed plate. Add a cast iron skillet on top (or something equally heavy) and let it drain for 20-30 minutes. Pat dry to remove excess moisture on the surface. You can also use a Tofu Press to make it even easier.
* SERVING IDEAS: lime wedges, sriracha, sliced green onion, chopped cilantro, toasted sesame seeds.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 342kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 789mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1060IU | Vitamin C: 43.2mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.8mg