Easy Vegan Quiche
For a winning breakfast or brunch, serve this Easy Vegan Quiche to a hungry crowd. The filling is packed with flavor from sautéed onions, garlic, and browned mushrooms. It calls for a pre-made pie crust to make it easier!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 6 People
- 1 9-inch vegan frozen pie shell (GF if preferred), see package for thawing instructions
- 1 14-oz block extra-firm tofu , drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushroom , sliced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kala namak (black salt) (*optional - see note)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (or all purpose)
- 1-2 tablespoons non-dairy milk , unsweetened
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes , cut in half
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C)
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes until softened and lightly browned.
Add garlic and sauté for 30-60 seconds until lightly golden and fragrant.
Now add mushrooms and sauté until softened and browned. About 5-7 minutes.
Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1-3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper if desired. Remove from heat and set aside.
Break up the tofu and add it to a food processor along with the seasonings, 1 tablespoon of milk, and flour. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. It will be very thick, but if it's too thick and won't smooth out, you can add 1 more tablespoon of milk. Just enough to get in moving.
Using a spatula, scrape the mixture out of the container into a medium mixing bowl. Fold in the mushrooms/spinach mixture and combine well.
Place the mixture in the pie crust and spread evenly. Add the cut tomatoes on top and gently press down so they are slightly in the mixture. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the quiche firms up and is golden on top. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
* BLACK SALT: it adds a subtle 'eggy' smell and flavor to the quiche. I highly recommend trying it at least once. If you're not into 'eggy' flavor, you can just use regular salt instead. It will still be delicious!
* PRESSING TOFU: wrap a block of tofu in a few paper towels and place it on a rimmed plate. Add a cast iron skillet on top (or something equally heavy) and let it drain for 20-30 minutes. I have a Tofu Press which makes it easier.
* Adapted from Genius Kitchen.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 440mg | Potassium: 326mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1445IU | Vitamin C: 7.4mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1.6mg